Best Vessels/Containers for Precision Cooking

My cooler is 24l which seems to be near enough to 24 quarts (never even heard of this unit before…) so sounds like I should be ok based on your experience. I also tested the water temp from top to bottom and there didn’t seem to be a meaningful gradient.

For anyone interested, I have designed and had manufactured a nice case for storage and travel for the Anova.  I get so much use and pleasure from my device that it felt wrong wrapping it in a towel and then putting it on top of my refrigerator.  Plus, when I travel or take it to friends homes to cook for them it was an issue, not any more :slight_smile:  If you are interested you can grab one at www.sousvide.solutions and enter coupon code ANOVA20 for a 20% off discount.

I bought a rubber maid 12qt container and it’s square.

Would it be best to place the Anova on a side or in the corner (facing the other corner) or does it even matter?

I bought a plastic storage box at a local store for around $11

it’s rated up to 120 C and is food safe. I cut a hole in the lid and lined the edges of the hole with Sugru. It’s 14L and also stores the Anova when not in use.

FullSizeRender

FullSizeRender-1

I have a couple of insulated coolers. Attached are pictures of a duel circulator setup I’ve used for large volume food cooking/warming.

Here is my setup that I have been using for over a year, I keep forgetting to post it.

4 Likes

Started using my little Playmate cooler for cooks. Using less water, insulated cooking vessel to boot

Perfect size for gallon sized ziploc bags

4 Likes

leave the water in the container for next time

That water is perfect for washing the dishes.

1 Like

Hello Kevin, Do you have or did you use a Template for cutting the hole in your cover? We just received our first Anova Precision Cooker and are hoping to maximizing its performance…

Most people have a power drill (cordless or otherwise) at home. You can get the Ryobi 2 1/2" hole saw and it will make short work to cut a hole in any wood, plastic or firm rubber that you want to cut a hole for your Anova.

(ignore that their picture is of the 2 1/4" hole saw - it IS the 2 1/2" one you want):

Ryobi’s page for the bit:

Once you have the hole, check for fit - if you have a little bit of room left, you can edge it with electrical tape to provide a really good seal for the PC. (and, having a hole, as opposed to a U-shape, you don’t need to use your clamp - the PC can sit in the hole).

1 Like

Hi Ron;

I thought I’d re-post my response here so others could see it. I just used the Anova’s clamp as a template and traced its outline on the cooler lid with a sharpie, which I then cut out on my bandsaw. I like the idea of using a hole-saw - you could potentially avoid using the clamp altogether and just seat the Anova in the hole.

Kevin

1 Like

What do I do if my store only sells Milwaukee hole saws?

I think a cooler and a play mat is the perfect combination.
Using a play mat makes it easy to cut the hole/slot, and it does pretty good at keeping heat and evaporation inside the container. Using a play mat, you also save your cooler for when you want to use it as a cooler.

2 Likes

Hello Steven,

Steven, Thanks so much for your tip on the 2.5" hole saw. It fits very well as you will hopefully in the pic.

3 Likes

After recommending my setup to a bunch of folks, I decided to stick it on a web page: www.sousvidego.com.

You’ll see the container, lid and rack I’ve been using successfully for months. I also did up a quick template to cut out the lid to fit the Anova.

I don’t sell anything but have included the links to Amazon.

1 Like

Just realized that my rig didn’t make it to this thread. I’m using the Cambro 4.75gallon polycarbonate bin. The lid is awesome, as it locks, minimizing evaporation. After cutting the hole in the lid for the Anova, you may want to edge it with electrical tape to provide a perfect seal (and protect the PC from steam escape).

Cambro 12189CW135 4-3/4 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Box, Clear
Canada: http://www.staples.ca/en/abc/product_1639752_1-CA_1_20001
Lid: http://www.staples.ca/en/Cambro-1218CCWCW135-Polycarbonate-Food-Storage-Box-Cover-Clear/product_1639754_1-CA_1_20001

US: https://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Storage-Camwear/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=anovacommunity-20&linkId=3fec7f0f3a541781e792b076a61e1e7a
Lid: Amazon.com

Again, the 2 1/2” hole saw bit:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-2-1-2-in-Carbon-Hole-Saw-A10HS08/20427713911

And the gratuitous pic: :slight_smile:

For those interested - that’s actually a Weber rib rack (meant for the BBQ) - as it’s chrome, not stainless, it tends to rust at its welds each cook…I just brush the rust off. Works quite well for holding 4 x 1/2 racks of ribs (would hold 5).

4 Likes

Fast and dirty insulated cooking container - StyroFoam cooler. Took a knife and notched out hole on the side and just clamped straight to side. Left a small indention from the clamp but works great

Now I can remove lid to inspect.

It took 4 pictures (of hot tapwater) + 2 boiling tea kettles of water (I actually have two kettles going at the same time) and took my starting temp to 128° - only took a few minutes to get to 134° (target temp)

1 Like

Kitchen sink !!!

6 Likes