Best Vessels/Containers for Precision Cooking

That is simply brilliant! :dizzy:

2 Likes

@fischersd Looks like I’ll need this Cambro container for my first pork shoulder sous vide. I tried to get the 2.5 inch hole saw at Home Depot, but the Ryobi appears to be out of stock.They have a five piece Ryobi set, but it only goes up to 2.25 inch. I did find the Milwaukee 2.5 inch hole saw, but it costs $17: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-1-2-in-Hole-Dozer-Hole-Saw-with-Arbor-49-56-9669/202327740

Have a look around. Ideally, you just want a 2 1/2" hole saw that you don’t have to buy extra bits for. Some of them have carbon tips that they do a good job of cutting through the plastic without making a mess (but, honestly, you can clean that up with a putty knife and some fine grit sandpaper) :slight_smile:

Me, I like just trying to make sure the Anova is in the corner, maximizing the space that’s in the bath. :slight_smile:

Hope your setup goes well!!!

1 Like

Good morning all together,

let me introduce myself, I am Oliver, I am from Germany so please dont wonder about my misstyping and funny grammar. I bought the first PC about a year ago, then I figured out that I need a second one and of course ordered one. I started with a plastic box from IKEA, but found out that it is to large and not insulaed. Then I tried to insulate and found out that it looks creepy. Finally, I bought a Bain Marie with 1200W heater and two 1/2 GN Boxes 200mm deep. The Bain Marie helps the PC to heat the water faster when you need higher temp for greens, potatoes, whatever. It is versatile, I can use one or both or, if I will cook a lot of Ripps, I put the both Boxes out and use the big Vessel (30 liters).

1 Like

New members can only upload one image per post :wink: OK, here is the new one, I will post some more pictures within the next days.

4 Likes

This is a great complete meal setup. Meat in one and vegetables in the other. I also have 2 units but my setup is not this elegant.

2 Likes

Thanks to this thread I recently purchased the Coleman cooler and modified it to hold the Anova in position for cooking. Somewhere else on this forum I saw a picture of a frame someone had made using PVC tubing to hold the cooking food down, they used netting held in place with zip ties to fill in the void. Neat Idea I thought I will make one to, finding a suitable netting was more challenging than making the frame. I went to a local hardware store and purchased four 12" long pieces of solid aluminum rod. After some work this is what I came up with.

2 Likes

People like you have been trail blazers on this one.

However I looked at my ‘not so cheap’ cooler and thought, "Do I really want to cut the lid up?

Here is an alternative
 buy a sheet of close celled foam, like the ones used for camping mats, upholstery, or buy a piece of thick neoprene.

Glue two pieces together for stiffness if you need to and cut to be a little wider than the cooler base.

Finally cut a slot for the Anova circulator.

Cut with any sharp hobby or Stanley knife.

That way I still have a cooler as well.

or you just buy a cheap cooler. :slight_smile: Walmart? :slight_smile:

True, but I now only need one cooler and don’t need to spend time cutting and sealing.

I thought it was worth flagging up another way to go.

It can also be used to make a blanket around and over pans.

Be well :slight_smile:

I would agree with the idea of using a can of spray foam insulation. Cant go wrong there adding that extra layer of insulation.

My rig.

Ingredients:

1 Stockpot from Aldi
1 Sleeping Pad (foam mattress for backpackers, I had one lying around, but available from Halfords for ÂŁ2.00)
Pack of A3 Foamboard
String
Kid’s PVA Glue (Literally. Morrisons call it “Kids PVA Glue” Apostrophes cost extra.)

Method:

Side: Cut sleeping pad to height of stockpot and twice the circumference with scissors. Wrap around twice and tie on with string. Cut notch for the precision cooker’s clamp.

Base: Cut two disks from sleeping pad, glue together and compress until glue sets.

Top: Cut five disks from Foamboard with a craft knife, three slightly larger than stockpot, two slightly smaller. Cut notches in each for precision cooker clamp. Assemble with the smaller disks underneath, glue together and compress until glue sets.

Tips: Use the original stockpot lid as a frying pan lid. Temporarily remove the foam sleeve to use the stockpot as a stockpot.

4 Likes

I can’t quite see who makes this. Can you give us a hint?

Not sure I understand the question. I made it, as described, but I don’t think that’s the answer you’re looking for.

The pot is a Crofton 12L Stainless Steel Stockpot purchased from Aldi.

The reply function on here is a bit odd, it’s more of a threaded reply function yet the forum is displayed chronologically.

To me, it looks like @Sam is actually asking about the setup from @AVENGER posted back in January

If you look at the upper right corner of the reply, you’ll see an arrow and the name of the person that is being replied to when the function is invoked. If you click on it, it will take you to that post.

Like I said, a bit odd and confusing at first. To embed a quote, you have to manually highlight the post you wish to copy.

1 Like

Thank you. Noted.

Best container
anything you wish. Cover= bulk ping pong balls available at Amazon et al. Three or four lavers deep, and no steam, no evaporation, no cutting. use your little cooler, big cooler, whatever. Plus, after you are finished, dry and put them back in the box they came in. keep a couple out for beer pong! Cooked the St. Patty’s corned beef for 60 hours with no extra water needed.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter since the Anova circulates water 360° via several openings.

I use and antique Esky brand cooler that I found in the shed. Cheap is good, but free is better.

1 Like

Why not just leave the water in it unless you don’t use it often enough