How do I calculate cooking time?

Hi, I am new to this forum and a bit intimidated to use my Anova precision cooker. I read through many of the recipes and I find that most foods are cooked 1 - 2 potions in a bag. I want to try sous vide on a chicken loaf made with chicken breast. About 3 lb of boneless chicken breast (not ground) are rolled up & held together in a net bag. I usually roast it with a blend of herbs. I think this would work well and be plenty moist if I sous vide it but I am not sure how and for how long. Also do I use the same temp. setting as a single chicken breast? Any ideas as to how to cook this? For how long?
Also in the future, How do I calculate time for larger pieces of chicken or meat?
Thank you

Hey Joy welcome to the community!

I can see how can be a little bit intimidating to use something you’ve never used before, but you’ve just gotta dive right in and give it a go. :slight_smile:

The app is really awesome for providing the best temps + times for certain kinds of cuts and meats.

I’d also recommend checking out the recipes site and Serious Eats’ Sous Vide 101.

Also keep in mind that it’s not the weight that necessarily matters, but the thickness of the meat. Here’s a REALLY informative guide on chicken breast.

Here’s a recipe that’s similar to chicken loaf, I believe: Sous-Vide Prosciutto-Wrapped Chicken Roulade

Since I’ve never cooked a chicken loaf, I’ll also tag a few people who might be more knowledgeable in this area than I am! @Helen @john.jcb @acs

Hi @joy.

@AlyssaWOAH has some good information there.

Basically, yes, the temp will be the same as that for a single breast. KL-A’s article has a good description of the temp vs texture differences.

Time will be a function of thickness. BUT, you can go over. Depending on the cook temps, you can go over by hours. There is a lot of latitude for the larger percentage of ingredients with this style of cooking.

Temperature and time are tied together to some extent, but not like they are with an oven or grill.

Thank you so much for your response, Alyssa & acs, it was very helpful. I did check out most of the links you provided before I posted & once again after. They are very helpful and I think I got the temperature figured out. How do I calculate time for thickness. I would say that this loaf is about 4 - 5" in diameter and about 8 - 9" long.
If it looks opaque on the outside, is it ready on the inside? I have seen recipes for roast meats that cook 24h, somehow I think that is too much for chicken breast? This is called a chicken breast roast, but I do think 24h for chicken is too much, any suggestions? Thank You

Time is a function of thickness. In this case, the length isn’t a factor since it’s uniform.

Cook time is also dependent on the temp to some extent. If you cook chicken at 147F it will need a longer cook than at 165F. If you look at the different textures in KL-A’s recipe at the bottom of this post, you’ll notice the time and temp changing to achieve a desired result.

If i had to guess, I’d go 3 hours at 150F the first time and adjust future cooks based on the results

Thank you very much, acs, i was thinking to try it somewhere bet 145 & 150, thanks, i will do bet 3 to 4 hours to make sure its cooked. Will post the results.
Have a great weekend

I am late to the thread but I agree 3-4 hours should do it. Let us know how it turned out.

Just fyi, chicken at 145 will be very supple, the soft texture and hints of pink color might take some getting used to by some people.