Jumbo Shrimp

Hi! New to sous vide cooking, have successfully cooked boneless rib eyes, center cut butterfied pork loin chops and tonight NY Strip steaks.

I picked up 1 1/2 lbs jumbo shrimp and trying to decide between two recipes - and wondered if any of you have tried both of them and can recommend which one you enjoyed more? I know taste is subjective, but would still like to hear some feedback. :slight_smile:

And of course, if you have an entirely different recipe you recommend, I would love to hear it! Only caveat - I don’t like spicy (hot) food.

Sous Vide Jumbo Shrimp Scampi (this one I thought of adding some fresh tomatoes and toss it all with some angel hair pasta.

~Robin

1 Like

I’m curious to know how shrimp will taste after its cooked in the sous vide! I’ve only tried salmon and chicken and both were great! Let us know when you find out! :grinning:

1 Like

Shrimp is soooo good! You should definitely try it out. @melramir

OK - sadly - no one weighed in, so tonight I cooked the Butter Poached Shrimp with Spaghetti, Lemon, and Chives with some modifications. I only had a 1/2 lb of spaghetti on hand, but 12 oz of bow tie pasta, so went with the bow tie pasta. Also had no chives, so added sun dried tomatoes for color and some fresh parmesan cheese at the end. Sous vide the shrimp for about 50 minutes, mainly because of timing, and after reading up to an hour shouldn’t change the texture.

It was amazing! Definitely will be sous viding more shrimp in our future!

Sorry about that @rabernet! I haven’t tried the shrimp recipes. I usually just keep it simple (as with all of my proteins). But I have done shrimp with a big of salt + pepper - really good. Have you cooked shrimp for a shorter time?

I usually buy the next size smaller than jumbo shrimp, rinse them well, and bag them plain. 15 minutes at 135F cooks them very tender.

While the shimp are in the sous vide, I saute whatever vegetables strike my fancy in butter and garlic. Toss in the patted-dry shrimp and some salt and pepper, and serve.

So, last night I made this recipe: Sous Vide Jumbo Shrimp Scampi

I wasn’t sure if my dishes were broiler safe, so we skipped that step. I also cooked some spaghetti noodles and stirred in butter and the juices from the shrimp and topped them with the shrimp. Also very good! Might try to come up with some shrimp fried rice next time!

1 Like

Now I’m craving shrimp! Shrimp fried rice sounds like a really good plan. @rabernet