Length of power cord

How long is the APC’s power cord (in inches)? Specifically, how many inches between the plug and where the power cord enters the APC? I’ve tried to find this important specification on the Anova website, in the on-line “User Manual” and on Amazon’s website; but I can’t find this datum anywhere. I’m mystified as to why Anova doesn’t provide this spec along with dimensions of the APC itself. As the User Manual clearly states “Never use extension cords…” (although I don’t know why one couldn’t use an extension cord of the appropriate gauge), knowing the length of the cord is critical for me to determine the size (dimensions) and placement of a sous-vide vessel.

It’s 30 inches from the base of the prongs to the strain relief on the device. 16/3 SVT 105 degree C rated.

I suspect the extension cord disclaimer is because we live in a litigious society.

Thank You! 30 inches will enable me to set a container or pasta pot on the counter or an un-used end of my cooktop; and to use my screened-in porch for longer cooks when I need counter space for other things. The question about cord length was one of two outstanding issues affecting my decision about buying the APC. (I now have to find out if my WiFi band is 2.4 or 5 GHz.)

1 Like

'welcome.

I’ve never seen a home wi-fi router that does only 5GHz and not 2.4. Many can have their 2.4GHz band disabled for performance, but I’ve never seen one that is actually lacking it.

I think the part of your statement “of appropriate gauge” is the key. As a manufacturer you cannot assume that the user of your product knows anything about selecting the appropriate cord size.

Point taken. However - in my “future, more perfect universe” - manufacturers will provide sufficient information so consumers will be fully informed and understand how to use a given product safely under foreseeable working conditions. In the instant case (i.e., extension cords), that would mean including information about the minimum extension cord wire gauge to use, if needed for a particular application. At the very least, the user manual could state the “use of extension cords is not recommended, but if needed for a specific application, the extension cord should be no more than xxx feet/meters long and the wire gauge should be at least #yy.” (Alternatively, the user manual could state “the use of extension cords is not recommended, but if needed for a specific application, please refer to [website/s] to determine the appropriate wire gauge for your intended use”.) In my “alternative universe”, this would also mean the manufacturer would include all specs relevant to determining wire gauge, without the user needing to research how to determine wire gauge. (Iincluding “amps” as one of the specs would have saved me some work.)

If I’ve correctly used the tables on the web sites I consulted: for the 900 watt Anova, DC current, the electric current is 8.18 amps (at 110 volts). I believe this means a #14 gauge extension cord (rated for 12 Amps, 1440 Watts) should be adequate for my needs (especially at less than 10 feet). For extra “security”, I could choose a #12 gauge extension cord (rated for 16 Amps, 1920 Watts). For those like me who are SV newbies (or wannabes) and need to “see for themselves”, I’ve provided URLs for the sources I consulted to determine what, for my needs, will be an appropriate extension cord wire gauge. I hope the “takeaway” for individual readers is an understanding of how to determine for yourself whether / what extension cord to use should you have a need. I hope the “takeaway” for Anova is that they need to update/augment the specs they provide to potential consumers: first it was no info about cord length and now it’s specification of Amps; I’m wondering what it will be next. Resources: Correct Extension Cord Sizes Are Critical to Safety (which includes a chart of “Extension Cord Wire Gauges, Amperage Rating, and Wattage”); http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guides-and-advice/electrical-items/watts-to-amps-calculator/ (which is how I got the # of Amps from the info on Anova website). Of course, results will be different for our international (i.e., AC) friends; but this is as far as I’m taking it.

Yes I agree with you about the ideal world but as ACS points out it seems as though people are bent on suing. Look at McDonalds having to pay because their hot coffee burned someone. I don’t think there will be a problem. I don’t work for Anova but I can understand their caution.

Aniway it’s too short.

Could you please publish a “how To” replace the cord with a longer cord, 60 inches for me, before I do it by myself. It does not look to need special tools for but for safety I prefer to have an advice from the maker before.

Thank you.

J a c q u e s

First, I’m not with Anova. Second, I highly doubt that they would provide the information you request as, again, safety and lawsuits. Not to mention you’d be voiding the warranty.

Hey @satyuli, as @acs mentioned, removing and replacing the power cord may void warranty, if were to cause any damages the Anova Precision Cooker.

How about shipping the unit with a longer cord? The one it comes with is indeed rather short.

1 Like

My Anova Precision Cooker still works perfectly after replacing the power cord with same AWG. I followed the guidelines given at “Anova Precision Cooker teardown” and “What’s inside the Anova Precision Cooker”. Finally, it’s possible to enjoy this great product.