New user. should base of device be resting on bottom of pan?

New User. Should base of device be resting on bottom of pan?

1 Like

It doesn’t really matter. I’ve done it in containers where it rests on the bottom, and containers where it doesn’t. Made no difference at all.

1 Like

If you are cooking in a metal pot of some sort and giving the Anova a boost to heat it up quicker by having pot on a hot stove burner, I wouldn’t let it touch the bottom of the pot. My WiFi Anova has a plastic cap on the bottom that might melt.

*** Note - giving it a boost via an induction or gas top stove is a bad bad idea! ***

1 Like

@mlamb I’d recommend caution when doing this. On the support page, Anova Culinary recommend avoiding doing this. While they do not provide a reason for this suggestion, I would guess that it’s to preserve the life of the unit.
EDIT: I do know that with some of Anova’s competitors, doing this will void the warranty and potentially damage the unit, even if the bottom of the device is not touching the bottom of the water vessel.

Hi Brian1, interesting you should say that. I actually thought I was helping to preserve the life of the unit by doing this, by not working it so hard to get it up to temps of 175 to 185. When I do this, I just give it a boost to get it up to cooking temp more quickly. For example, if I am want 175, I watch the temp on the Anova closely, and I turn off the burner completely once the temp hits 168 to 170. I have an electric radiant glass cooktop, so there is no heat or flames creeping up the side of the pot. I wouldn’t do this on a gas stove, the hot air would roll off the bottom and up the side of the pot right onto the clamp. And with an induction stove, the metal parts of the Anova would essentially lite up and overheat. Might really mess with the electronics too. I guess Anova probably says not to do this because the typical Anova customer would have a gas or induction stove.

Hi @mlamb I’m just regurgitating what Anova Culinary, and other manufacturers have said. I understand why you’re doing what you’re doing, I’m not saying it will damage any unit, I’m just relaying what manufacturers have said about the process. You can do what you like, I’m not telling you to stop doing it, I’m just telling you that Anova recommends not to do it. As stated, I do not know the specific reasons Anova recommends against this, but I have stated reasons for why other companies will recommend against this.

I’m all confused now. Does this mean we must only use the ANOVA to bring up the temperature? I’ve always heat up the pot first then submerge the ANOVA into it after that to reach the desired temperature… Or for smaller portions I just pour the heated water from the kettle…
Or does it mean not to use two different heat source at the same time?

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with heading up the water, and then adding the unit once the pot has been removed from the heat source. What was being discussed above involved having the unit present in the pot while it was being heated on the cooktop.

1 Like

i often adjust my hot water tap in the kitchen while measuring with a thermapen and can get it about spot on out of the faucet. i cant get every temp though, but it does cut down substantially on preheat for steaks and salmon etc…

2 Likes

Re: *** Note - giving it a boost via an induction or gas top stove is a bad bad idea! ***: I understand why it would be a bad idea to let the Anova rest on the bottom of a metal pot while “giving it a boost” on the stovetop; but why would it be bad to boost heating if the Anova doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan?

@LillyJo
I did notice the heat from the gas burner escapes from the side of the pot. I guess that might overheat the APC’s clamp or even the unit itself.

Thanks for your reply! I probably wouldn’t have asked the question had I first read all posts related to this topic. (I didn’t find them until after I sent the question!) I have an induction cooktop with power boost on one burner. When I use a large pot, I may try heating water on boost to below target temp (as mlamb noted), check temp with my thermapen, move the pot and then attach the APC. I can see there is much room for experimentation (presupposing I decide to buy this gadget).

2 Likes

@Walter_Ego - Starting up with hot tab water measured with a thermapen, then inserting the PC is safe, efficient and saves a lot of time. Yep, it absolutely makes sense to me.

2 Likes