Pork rib cook time

Got recipe via Anova email want to try it but states 12 hours cook time plus time in oven to finish. No way I’m going to start them at 6:00 AM !! What to do, What to do??
I dont want them for breakfast either so overnight cooking is out.

I wonder if you could spread the 12 hours over 2 days. On the first day get up by noon and cook the ribs for 6 hours. Freeze or refrigerate them at this point. Now on the day you want to eat cook them for another 6 or 7 hours. I have never tried this but I don’t see why it would not work. It would be interesting.

Thanks John but think I’ll pass on that idea. Don’t feel the need to fire up the Anova twice to cook ribs. I do them now on my gas grill ( low and slow ) or in the oven ( high then low heat ). I’ll continue to ponder this for a while and see if i get any other responses.

I must admit that I have not tried ribs sous vide yet. I have a smoker and baby backs can be cooked to perfection in about 3 hours.

One favorite of mine though are short ribs cooked to medium rare for 48-72 hours.

Why not cook the ribs overnight then shock chill them and put them in the fridge? In the evening reheat them and finish them in the oven.

Not a bad idea. As the recipe calls for finishing in the oven at 350 i could do that and just increase the time to cover heating up the ribs after the storage in the refer.

1 Like

I actually do pork side or back ribs for 36 hours at 145F. They’re fall off the bone tender - the only reason that you cook them in the oven at temps above 345F afterwards is to caramelize the sugar in the BBQ sauce that you put on them.
(I use a darker sauce that has Guinness in it…the ribs get super-sticky and almost black in colour) :slight_smile:

(I’m also a fan of using a UPS for longer cooks) The APC doesn’t resume cooks if it looses power.

If you want to have a dry finish to them, you could just broil them for about 20 minutes to dry them out and crisp up the exterior a bit.

Right now I’m cooking the ribs for 48 hours at 60.5°C. Tomorrow after it finishes cooking I will put them in the oven under the broiler to get the crust and we will see what will be the result :stuck_out_tongue: I also added some liquid smoke to it, to make it like smoked ribs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep, the liquid smoke does a really nice job. I add the spritz I’d use if I was smoking them for real as well as 3 or 4 drops of liquid smoke to each bag. :slight_smile: (each bag holds 1/2 rack) :slight_smile:

1 Like

ohhh fu***… I added hmmm 20 drops of smoke in the bag? hahaha :joy:

@mejakm Woaaah - lots of drops! Let us know how it turns out with the extra drops of liquid smoke…

So here’s the result od the 48h cooking at 60.5°C :slight_smile:

The ribs were very tender and juicy it’s just that on the thinner parts were a little bit dry because of the searing in the oven…

Regarding the drops… looks like this one that I have are very gentle in flavor as I didn’t taste any smoke at all so I had to add id on the plate… :frowning:

Straight from sous vide:

Seared in the oven under the broiler for aprox. 5min:

1 Like

Niceeee! Glad it came out good. What brand of liquid smoke did you use?

1 Like

it a local, spanish one… :unamused:

1 Like

A je nujno, da se takšni kosi mesa po kuhanju najprej na hitro shladijo in potem popečejo? V čim je fora, da se ne prepeče?

Meso lahko pozneje hladimo in porjavimo. Ni treba kuhati cele.