Precision Cooker WI-FI connection issues

No spaces in the password either, right?

Honestly, I think about the only good use for the wifi connectivity is to kick off an ice bath cook remotely. (can be nice to check status while you’re out though…if you tend to want to check it every so often).

The SSID’s for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks the same or different?

I gave the SSID diferent names en this solved my connection problems.
(Connect my tablet on the 2.4 channel)

Yep, they can be named the same, but we’ve seen that cause issues for the Anova PC during initial setup - so best to either deactivate or rename the 5GHz network temporarily.

This is also due to the fact that your phone (at least in the case of iOS) needs to be connected to the 2.4GHz network during setup. If you have both bands named the same, you may be connected to the wrong one on your phone.

Hi, I’m using the Android version of the Anova branded app with a 1 year old Anova Wifi. I have been using my Anova on my home network for months without issues. Tonight, it disconnected itself. After setting it up over and over and over again (following all steps in the troubleshooting guide) I discovered this:

1. I can indeed connect, briefly.
  2. The app is set by default to 45 minutes, a time that I have never used. If I attempt to change the time, it disconnects from the Anova and refuses to reconnect until I follow all steps in the troubleshooting guide.
  3. If my phone screen is shut down, it disconnects from the Anova and refuses to reconnect until I follow all steps in the troubleshooting guide.

It worked with this phone and this network until last night. I’m not getting a password error. The Anova simply cannot be found until I remove the app from my phone, move the Anova over to my router, plug in the Anova, press the wifi sigil to reset the wifi on the Anova, reinstall the app, go through the steps to connect to the Anova and then I can move it back to my kitchen, plug it in, set it (for 45 minutes only by the timer) and then I can go through this all over again if I either a) change it to any time other than 45 minutes or b) let my phone screen go black.

I don’t know why this is happening all of a sudden.

I’m on iOS, so can only offer limited suggestions. :frowning:

You always have to ask yourself - “what’s changed?” Did you update the version of Android (or any system updates?) Similarly with the Anova app. (hopefully you have the ability in Android to check and see what the last updates are).

You could have a problem with the unit itself, but I’d be much more prone to look at software changes first.

Good luck!

To my knowledge, I haven’t had any updates since last night, when I used it for eggs. I didn’t update anything overnight and my google play doesn’t show any updates. The only changes to my phone are that I added a shopping list app this morning. But uninstalling that didn’t help.

Just got mine for Christmas. Wont stay connected to iPhone 7 so I have to constantly reconnect. It holds a constant temp, but the long cooks seem to stop keeping time after a while. The bluetooth only really connects if I’m in the same room so its not much of a benefit. Any help on this would be appreciated.

It sounds like there’s something corrupt in the app data on your phone. Hopefully uninstalling and reinstalling the app fixes it.

Also, once the Anova PC has been setup, it has your wifi network stored in its internal memory. You really shouldn’t have to set it up again, just because the app is acting up.

Hopefully you can delete the app and the app’s data with the uninstall/reinstall.

There’s currently two versions of the Anova app in the iOS app store - Anova Culinary is the bluetooth app and Anova Wifi is the Wifi app. (so, if you’re using the bluetooth app, it won’t use the cloud connection to talk to the Anova PC when you’re out of wifi range).

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app at least six times last night. I also tried restarting my phone. While I shouldn’t have to set it up again just because my app is acting up, that’s part of the troubleshooting guide’s recommendations to get it to connect to my phone. I happened to be home last night, which was good. If I’d been activating my Anova from work, then I would not have been able to trust that it had kept food at the right temperature or, worse, food would have been ruined if I hadn’t been able to turn it on at the right time. It was good that I was home and could troubleshoot this last night. I’m planning some 3-day ribs in the near future and I need to be able to monitor my food from afar and make sure everything is fine. I’ll probably make some eggs or something tonight so I can see if it was a one-time thing or if it’s going to be a constant problem.

HI @Thoenix, we have just updated to one app one platform, so we no longer have two apps on the app store for IOS, if you currently have the IOS app, try downloading the regular anova app. This should solve these issues. If not let me know.

Check this out for more info: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/204189830

I’m on Android, as stated in my original post and do not own an iPhone. I did a hard reset on my phone, reset everything in my network, reset the Anova again with the same results. After another full network reset, resetting everything on my phone, following the connectivity troubleshooting guide several more times, I seem to currently have a stable connection, but we’ll see. I’ll be monitoring it closely as I have 24-hour ribs in. When I refer to the ‘Anova branded app’ I meant that I wasn’t using the older, user-made Anova app that was the only Android option in the early days.

Okay, in that case I recommend you contact support@anovaculinary.com for a new unit, as this may be a firmware issue.

At the moment it seems to be holding but if I have further problems, I will certainly contact them. I just renovated my kitchen and this is rapidly becoming one of my most used tools. I can’t afford to be without it.

Okay sounds good, let me know if you need anything else :slight_smile:

It turns out that my 2.4 Chanel regularly fails. Is there a way that I only use the Bluetooth connection. When I stop after de Bluetooth setup the whole setup
been canceld

I’ve lost WiFi connection the last week during cooks, which mean I can’t keep remote watch on it. Fortunately I can look at the timer on the APC… unless the device reconnects and resets it back to the start.

Thanks for letting me know, I will pass this on to the team, it could be bug related.

Hi, i am experiencing problems getting WIFI up and running as well. iOS, App 2.0.1 crashing from time to time. trying to setup wifi (BT works ok). BT-symbol on ANOVA starts to blink white (formely solid blue), but after some blinks goes back to steady blue again. no non-standard chars in passwort for testing, SSID has Spaces in it.

Any hint?

strange, this WIFI thing seems to be an ongoing PITA with the ANOVA.

I just took out my anova to cook some delicious asparagus. I’ve deleted the iOS Anova WIFI app, as i got an email that the apps was now consolidated in the Anova one. I can connect to my device using bluetooth, but it refuses to connect on wifi. I’ve tried all the steps in the trouble shooting guide within the app.

I’m using the latest app version - any hints for getting wifi up and running again? now i wish that i hadn’t deleted the anova wifi app, at least that one worked…