Precision Cooker WI-FI connection issues

Can’t connect to WiFi at all now. My APC had a little conniption last night and turned itself off with nothing but the red pause/play light showing. Possibly steam issue because it was a hot cook, 70°C but not for more than 30mins.

I’m about to set a 3 day cook going and would obviously like to monitor it, but I can’t get the cooker to connect. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the ap to try again. Connects bluetooth AOK, but won’t connect to Wifi. Have been trying for the last 45 mins. I can only assume there is a problem with the APC as everything else checks out fine. Feeling a concerned. :disappointed_relieved:

Ahhhhh I am so sorry about that @Ember! It could have been a steam issue, but I’d definitely check in with support@anovaculinary.com so they can troubleshoot and get the connectivity problem resolved asap.

Thanks @AlyssaWOAH. I’ve submitted a ticket but for now I’ll have to use manual or bluetooth. … I need to get this cook happening. Using Frankencooler this time because it’s a long’un.

Sorry if I missed it but I too have a wifi password which has more than 18 chars and special chars. Is there a solution yet besides changing the password to an Anova-compliant one and then resetting all 87 of my other connected devices?
TIA
John

i have a very long password with specials in it, works fine for me.

Hi @anovajne sorry for the trouble and thanks for the feedback. Currently, that’s how our device is set up to work and we are unable to change it at this time. It is a known issue. We’ll post any updates as we hear about them.

1 Like

I’m a longtime Anova user and recently received the “upgraded” WiFi version for a birthday gift. After repeated attempts to connect the Wifi, including holding my Anova unit close to my WiFi router, I was shocked to learn that it only supports WiFi passwords without special characters. This greatly reduces the security of any network and isn’t acceptable for my home air my home-based business. WHY ON EARTH does Anova insist on this? Every other connected device in my home is compatible with my password, except Anova’s. So now I’m connecting on bluetooth again and my wife is very disappointed,

While it is true, supporting a greater character set does improve your security, the length of the password is your greatest benefit - in areas of great density (apartment buildings, etc) the length of the password is sufficient to deter most would-be hackers (to be honest, most of them are teenagers playing with tools they barely understand). If you have a long password, they’ll typically give up after an hour or two and pick on another network.

My network password is actually 19 characters…so that 18 character limit can’t be entirely accurate. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, at this point I might just get a refund. Tried every single method with guest network, no guest netowork, 2.4ghz, password with only letters and numbers, password with only letters, network name with no spaces, with spaces, resetting and reinstalling app a thousand times etc etc. Nothing is working.

Which channel you use is very much location specific (as many of us are living in high density areas)…it’s somewhat hit and miss (unless you’re using some sort of wifi “sniffer” to see what local channels are used up. :slight_smile:

Hello, my anova is finding only the 5ghz wifi. Any ideas, how to find the 2,4ghz? My router is dual band and there is no option to deactivate one of these.

Rename the 5GHz SSID (network name) to something else. Forget the network on your iPhone, reset it up so it’s connected to the 2.4GHz network, then do the Anova setup.

Once the Anova setup is complete and it’s connecting to your wifi, then you can change the name of the 5GHz band back to be the same if you like.

1 Like

Do I have to haul my cooker into the office (close to router) from the kitchen every time I want to use it on wifi?
I have a repeater about five feet from the cooker in the kitchen. My cooker is a week old, do I really have to delete the app every time?

Is this thing this complicated?

Once it has made the initial connection you should be fine. It should reconnect on its own if it has a signal.

1 Like

This is my third cook with my APC, Cooking at 145 deg F. and lost wifi connection so I don’t think it is a steam problem. Tried several times to reconnect with the app with no luck, Lucky I was home when this happened so I could see that the Anova was still cooking. To remedy the situation I logged into my router and went to the device list and saw an option to clear and rescan for devices which I clicked and the Anova immediately reconnected.

Don;t know if this will help anyone, just thought I’d put it out there.

Hi need help as well. I have tried everything including emailing them. There is no point in offering the WiFi enabled product when it is not user friendly.

I have disabled my 5G network, which brings the promise of efficiency and simplicity into question. Issues with the app shutting down by itself and no way to find out the MAC address. I have tried using another iPhone, but the PC had issues even connecting to the Bluetooth.

Any ideas??

Maybe you can reset the cooker (I think you have to tap and hold on the blue Wi-Fi logo), then try connecting from scratch. Also make sure that your network password is alphanumeric only. I recall that non-standard characters like ! @ ? > < # etc. are not able to be processed. Personally, I have never needed any MAC address, and connection was relatively simple for me. Good luck!

I had issues about a month ago with steam getting into the housing. After I got it dried out completely, I was able to get it to run, though I could only connect via bluetooth and then, if I left the kitchen, it would signal to me that my food was done cooking upon reconnect – even if the cooker was still preheating.

I purchased a new cooker, the only one was only 14 months old when it started having issues.

This one won’t connect to wifi, either. Or rather, it connected to wifi but the connection was gone as soon as I took it into the kitchen and tried to use it (and yes, the signal from the router is just fine in there.) Even worse, repeat attempts to connect to wifi cause the app to crash.

At this point, I’m thinking the problem isn’t the cooker. It’s the app.