Ribs that just fall off the bone

I was so excited to get a sous vide mainly because I love ribs. It’s hardly haute cuisine, but I’m in heaven at TGI Friday - their baby back ribs fall apart in your fingers.

So I cooked my ribs in vacuum sealed sous vide bags at 70C for 24 hours… and they were… mediocre. Not tough, but not fall apart delicious.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should do differently?

Thanks

My only suggestion would be to try cooking them for longer. There are a few rib recipes in the Anova app that might give you some ideas.

When i do ribs, typically i do about 65°C for 48 hours.

I made this recipe recently and it turned out excellently.

http://www.thecrazykitchen.co.uk/2014/03/sous-vide-72-hour-barbecue-ribs.html

Try this recipe from Anova’s website! Barbecue Ribs, he cooks them a little hotter which should result in more tenderness.

Reviving this thread for Canada Day (mind you, you’ll have needed to do this a day or so ago to enjoy them tonight!) :slight_smile: Still enough time for our friends south of the border to do this for the 4th! :slight_smile:

That guide that Cole posted is awesome for a start to finish guide for people doing their first sous vide ribs!! (may have to try that recipe out as well for the rub).

I use a rub from a friend (sorry, sworn to secrecy on the recipe for the rub and the spritz) :frowning: 1/2 rack of pork ribs (either side or back) in each freezer bag, let them marinade for 24 hours in the rib rub in the fridge, then give each bag 4 drops of liquid smoke, 4 squirts of my spritz (which has Jack Daniels and Apple Cider as well as Apple Cider Vinegar in it) :slight_smile:, a quick dunk in the immersion tank to get out the air and into the sous vide bath at 145F for 36 hours.

How wonderful they look when they come out of the bath:

Plated, showing how well the Bulls-eye Guinness BBQ sauce caramelizes on the grill (at least 400F - the hotter, the quicker) - just long enough to get the sauce almost black and super-sticky! :slight_smile:

Heh…one of the bone’s didn’t make it to the plate - fell out on the grill. :slight_smile:

Oh…and I think every rib thread should include the Serious Eats guide…just because it’s so awesome :slight_smile: