Sous Vide a Whole Goose

Hi:
This is my first time on this board.

Below is how I cook my Goose for Christmas. What I need to know is if I can sous vide the goose getting the same flavours and without it being greasy. I have to cook two.
Any suggestions how I would go about this?

ROAST GOOSE:

Remove all loose fat from goose.

Reserve gizzard, heart, neck and wing tips for Giblet Gravy.

Wipe Goose inside and out with damp cloth and dry thoroughly.

If desired, remove wishbone for easier carving.

Rub goose inside and out with lemon half, squeezing juice over bird as you work.

Sprinkle cavity lightly with salt & pepper.

Stuff neck cavity of goose lightly with your choice of stuffing; fasten neck skin to body with a skewer.

Stuff body cavity lightly with remaining stuffing; skewer or sew closed; tie legs and wings close to the body.

With darning needle, prick skin all over to allow fat to escape during roasting.

If using a thermometer, insert deep into inner thigh muscle, making sure it doesn’t rest on bone.

Place goose breast side down on a rack in shallow roasting pan.

Pour 2 cups (500ml) of boiling water over.

Roast, uncovered, in 400F (200c)oven for 30 minutes; reduce heat to 325F and roast for 1 hour longer.

Pour off and discard liquid in pan;baste with 1/4 cup of warmed wine.

Turn goose over; prick again with abneedle and pour remaining boiling water (2cups)over.

Roast for 1 hour longer.

Prick goose again.

Pour off and discard drippings in pan.

Baste with remaining wine and roast for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. longer or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced and thermometer registers 190F(90C).

Total roasting time is 4 to 4-1/2hrs for a 10 to 11lb.goose.

Transfer goose to cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 minutes to seal in juices before carving.

Serves 8.

1 Like

Why mess with perfection? It works for you in the oven…

I’m not sure if SV will yield good results for a whole bird because of the body cavity.

I too would be concerned about the amount of grease rendering off a duck, trapped in a sealed bag could be beyond disgusting.

Thank you Acs!
I was just wondering if the sv would make it more tender.

Praying you have a Merry Christmas filled with Blessings.

1 Like

For individual cuts it would, say if you were just cooking the breast. Might also be able to remove more of the fat beforehand because the bird is cut up, but that would probably require removal or partial removal of the skin, which on a duck, is the best part.

Never having tried it I think I would have to agree with @acs.

My more modest efforts with turkey and chicken breasts turned out moist and juicy.

1 Like

Thank acs! I love the skin of the goose also
I never throw out the grease.
I cook with it and also take some and add menthol to it.
It makes a great chest rub. Just like Grandma’s.

Thanks John: Much appreciate your input.

This sounds amazing, I will have to try it sometime! Happy Holidays! :smile: :christmas_tree: :sparkles:

Thanks for all your help

So while I did not sous vide the whole goose, this set of directions works perfectly in the Anova oven and produces a great result. I had a 9 pound goose stuffed with green apple, yellow onion, celery, sage and rosemary. No pour over of boiling water. Did the initial sear with top burner only and no steam - then went to 50% steam and convection for the remainder. Poured off liquid and basted with pan juices/fats every 30 minutes. My family eats goose every year for Christmas and they all agreed this was the most tender and most flavorful bird ever. Basically, it was prefect. I don’t think a bigger bird would fit however. I have had 12-14 lb geese in the past and I think they would be too big.