Start with meat at room temp?

I’m going to try my first sous vide recipe. Do I bring the steak to room temp before putting it in the sous vide or can I put it in cold from the fridge?

Thx. Ri

Cold from the refrigerator works great. The difference between this temperature and room temperature does not make much difference. Most recipes (eggs excluded as an example) have fairly wide tolerances for cooking time and if your piece is particularly thick giving it a few minutes more to be safe won’t hurt anything. If the steak is frozen you may want to add 30 minutes. I normally put my steaks in the bath as it is coming up to temperature so by the time it reaches cooking temperature the meat has had time to warm up pretty well. This is the beauty of sous vide at the low temperature you are not going to overcook the meat.

1 Like

Thank you! Big breath…I’m so excited about trying this, but nervous, too. I’ve spent the last 3 days reading recipes for sous vide. We’re trying a 1.5 lb top sirloin roast at 134.5 for 24 hours – used the “chuck roast” recipe on the Anova site for time/temp. There are so many recipes for “steak” that looked appropriate, too. But they cooked for a much shorter time. Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Many thanks for your response, John.
Smiles… Ri

Don’t be afraid of the sear. When I started doing sous vide I was always worried I would over cook the meat by searing. If you dry the steak and brown it in a little oil in a hot pan it browns up nicely.

Take some pictures when you are done.

Follow-up question: Most recipes I read today (while my Anova already has a shipping tracking number) say Bring bath to heat then drop whatever you want to cook I am looking more into setting stuff all up and leaving, starting the process remote. That means what I want to cook is already in the water, while it heats up.
Makes no difference, does it, as cooking times rather less overcook, right?

Just be careful. People doing delayed cooks usually start their food off in an ice bath, to keep it chilled until they’re ready to kick off their cook.

If your food is in the danger zone for too long, you really shouldn’t gamble with it. (40F-140F per the USDA/FDA).

Now, we know that pathogens start to die off between 126F-130F.

Generally speaking, if you leave meat out at room temperature for as little as 2 hours, it’s recommended that you dispose of it.

Right, ok I get that. sigh not all as convenient. But checks tracking number The parcel is in the GLS delivery vehicle to be delivered in the course of the day.