Tell us your Sous Vide stories!

Hello Anova Community!

We want to hear about how cooking sous vide has changed the way you cook, eat, and think about food. Send us your stories, recipes, photos, etc to community@anovaculinary.com.

We’d love to set a time to chat and hear more about your experiences cooking with Anova, and maybe trade recipes :wink:

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Michael

@Michael Saw a great creme brulee recipe shared by @DMW with some awesome photos - check it out: http://community.anovaculinary.com/discussion/comment/2255/

Last night was the first time I got Chuck Steak right. Vacuum packed with just cracked pepper and a slice of butter, a few days in the fridge, then 48 hours at 57c. Dried the steak very thoroughly with paper towels before blasting it in cast iron (mix of olive oil and butter) for a minute a side to get the crust. Poured out the bag juices into a small saucepan with a cup of white wine, generous blob of thickened cream, some rosemary paste and a few other bits I had to hand, then reduced to a thick sauce on mid heat (can’t reduce on high heat or the white wine reacts badly and makes everything very bitter/sour). Pour sauce over steak and steamed mixed veggies and serve. The meat was incredibly tender and flavoursome and the crust was quite thick and actually crunchy, which surprised me in a very happy way!

Lessons learned from the previous attempt: dry the steak as much as you possibly can, and don’t turn the heat on the sauce up too high.

On tonight’s menu - one butterflied chicken breast wrapped around a knob of frozen homemade garlic butter, vac sealed back in to the shape of the breast, and then sat back in the fridge for a few days. 90 minutes at 57c should work out well.

That sounds delicious @Fudspong . Did you strain the bag juices at all? I’ve found running them through a cheese cloth helps.

@Bill No straining, I prefer the rustic look (he says, justifying his laziness).

Finally found some bigger than normal carrots at the store. Lightly peeled and left a tad of stalk on the top for some contrast. Melted some butter and added salt/pepper to pour over the carrots in the bag. Cooked at 185 for 90 minutes. Put carrots and the butter sauce in a pan and seared for a minute. With my second Anova I did a pork loin at the same time. Salt/pepper/thyme/sage mix and some olive oil in the bag. The kid hates it med rare so cooked at 155 this time. Finished off in a hot pan with clarified butter. Highly recommended…

Made my first very simple, but made technical dinner last night.

Chicken, peas and chips!

Chicken:

Nice and easy to get done in advance then leave in the ice bath right to the last minute.
The flesh looks alarmingly pink when you take it out - I had a massive urge to wash my hands for fear of salmonella. Although my brain tells me it’s been cooked for over an hour and a half!
The searing seems to sort that out though.
Skin turns out crispy and caremlised, flesh is like butter in both taste and texture, but with a thyme kick that has penetrated like nothing I’ve achieved at home before.

Chips: Chefsteps sous vide class, triple cooked chips in a glucose based brine.

The chips are sous vide’d in a equal weight of this odd sweet brine. Seemed a lot of effort to me to make chips. But it was worth it.

I did find the Anova struggled a little in the polycarbonate tank I use (15 litres I think) to get up to the 90 degrees c required. I had to wrap it in foil and towels or I think I’d have been there all day. But this is at the high end of the capacity, both water volume and temp. Once it got there though, it held 90 like a rock.

After drying off the chips (in a warm oven) then frying them twice, once at 130, then after cooling at 190.

They were AMAZING. As a tomato\BBQ sauce fiend, I barely put a drop on them, crunchy outside, like mash inside, so sweet and loads of flavour.

Best chips ever, and chuffed they came from my own hand.

Served with buttered minty peas and steamed leaks.

NOM :slight_smile:

Finally found some bigger than normal carrots at the store. Lightly peeled and left a tad of stalk on the top for some contrast. Melted some butter and added salt/pepper to pour over the carrots in the bag. Cooked at 185 for 90 minutes. Put carrots and the butter sauce in a pan and seared for a minute. With my second Anova I did a pork loin at the same time. Salt/pepper/thyme/sage mix and some olive oil in the bag. The kid hates it med rare so cooked at 155 this time. Finished off in a hot pan with clarified butter. Highly recommended...

I made carrots for dinner as well. I did not find a need to melt the butter. I just put a tablespoon of butter along with salt and a dash of pepper in the bag. I also added brown sugar. Finished them in a fry pan until the juices started to caramelize. I bet this would be good for Yams as well.

Here is last nights pork tenderloin and carrots (both sous vide). [missing image removed]

This one time, at sous vide camp…