To Sous Vide, Or Not To Sous Vide: Hot Dogs

No i have not. As they are already cooked i believe a reheat on grill or in a small pan of water on the stove is sufficient.

1 Like

Usually what happens is Iā€™ve gotten home from the grocers and put my chuck roast in the SV and realize I didnā€™t get anything at the store I can eat right thenā€¦ grab a pack of Nathans hot dogs and throw them in a bag- 138F/1hr, cool them under the tap, and then throw them in a screaming hot pan or torch until they are just starting to burn. :smile:

1 Like

Ahhh yes! So, what would you say is the difference between sous vide hot dogs and maybe just boiling them in a pot? @Katnipss

I would say cooking them in their own (hot dog) juices beats leeching the flavor out by boiling them, beats heating them up quickly in the microwave, and is comparable to cooking the whole way on a grill. Mainly it is just convenience and the end result will be as good or better than cooking them another way.
Now if I happened to be grilling something thatā€™s another time I might throw a pack of hot dogs on (but thatā€™s a story for another day/forum). Lol.

2 Likes

Ahhhhh thatā€™s what I figured (flavors are kept) but I wasnā€™t too sure if it made a noticeable difference. Obviously, Iā€™ve got to just experiment for myself! @Katnipss

Actually Alyssa is using the right term when she says Emulsified Sausage! Emulsified sausages are cooked sausages that have been finely comminuted to the consistency of a fine paste. Hot dog, frankfurter, mortadella, bologna, liver sausage, pĆ¢tĆ© are typical examples. In most cases they are smoked and cooked with moist heat (steamed or in hot water). The first emulsified sausage was probably the German frankfurter, followed by the Austrian wiener. In the 1800ā€™s German immigrants brought these recipes to America and originally these sausages were served like any other. The story goes that in 1904, a street vendor in St.Louis was selling his wieners on small buns.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! Now iā€™ll never have another hot dog. I loved them too!I I Always thought they were bug parts, rodent hairs and roach droppings. I could handle that but now I am to understand itā€™s emulsified. Forget that!