Unit turned itself off!

Anova unit switched off during the night and water was cold in the morning, the unit had four 8’s in the display and would not turn on again, unplugged it and plugged it in again and it started up, however the set function appears to be not working now…what may have happened to it?

Also, will my lamb shoulder be alright still, it may have been cooking for 4 hours, who knows bu the water was cold this morning.

Thanks, Ramondavich.

Power surge at the wall outlet, perhaps?

Maybe, but the machine won’t set now so it probably is due to something else.

Arghh that sucks - sorry about that. I am also wondering if it was power outage. Do you suspect that was what happened? Either way, our customer support team can help figure out what happen and give you steps on how you can possibly revive your Anova. You can just email them at support@anovaculinary.com. :slight_smile:

Thanks, I will until tomorrow when I have finished with the lamb shoulder and then see if it gets its act together after a short rest.

Sorry to say, but you should likely toss the lamb shoulder. How cold was the water?

If there’s any chance that the meat was in the “danger zone” (less than 130F) for 2 hours or more, then you really should toss it to prevent anyone getting sick.

It does sound like you may have had a power surge fry your unit.

This is one of the reasons why I always use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) with my APC - had a rib cook get interrupted by a power outage. Never again.

The APC, by design, won’t resume your cook if it loses power (as there’s no way for it to know how long the power has been out, and how long your food has been too cool to be safe).

Better safe than sorry.

I’m not sure why you’d reach that conclusion, since a power surge could well have damaged the unit’s electronics.

At the end of the day, I finished the lamb off, browned it in the frypan and gave it 20 minutes in the oven and it was scrumptious!

1 Like