UPDATE: MultiCook + MultiStep Function

Lots of cool cats on here have been asking about the MultiCook and MultiStep function and if it’ll be available for our current models.

I have updates. :slight_smile: And yes - you’re the first to know because y’all are the real MVPs! :wink:

The WiFi cookers (900W and 800W) will have the MultiCook and MultiStep functionality. The original Bluetooth model (800W) will not have these functions. Hope that clears some things up! Let me know if you have any Qs!

-Alyssa

8 Likes

Tagging the people who have asked about this: @dannyb603 @csx4780 @MrTimmy @PHL @Polemicol @fischersd @niXta @Motormedicus @Ember @pilgrim03 @Antonio_Jimenez_Alga @Serdood @acs @zqushair @paul_sep

2 Likes

Yet the Nano, which is also BT only, has these functions which are controlled by the app and not the cooker.

Bravo. Way to support your customer base.

What happened to the “The Precision Cookers aren’t going anywhere, the Nano is just there to supplement them” line? Sounds suspiciously like you are trying to force people out of the BT units.

3 Likes

so, when will the update be avaliable to the current Wifi models?

2 Likes

@pigflyin I’ll get back to everyone on this! @acs - I’ll follow up with you on your question too. Gonna get some more info.

Thank you, @AlyssaWOAH.

I know my responses sound a bit rough, it’s just that as @fischersd expanded on (more eloquently I might add) after my post in another thread, there really seems to be no logical reason for cutting off the BT precision cookers. Especially after flooding the market with them at ridiculous discounts.

Backlash could be severe and wide spread. Seen it before. Tread carefully.

1 Like

Nah, I understand. Those are legitimate questions and concerns. I want to give you guys the right answers to your questions, so once I get all the details about this I’ll give more updates. @acs

Really! This is a tiny, niche market, nothing they do is going to be ‘severe and widespread’ get a grip…

I’m not disagreeing with you, I see no reason why they cannot add it to all models, but let’s not get overdramatic about this, it’s just water heater, not a nuclear bomb…

1 Like

Hey, as a reminder, we wanna keep the community a cool place to be in. Part of that is respecting other other members, even if we’re not all on the same page.

Some functions are super important to some people, and that’s totally understandable. Alsoooo - as a reminder, I’ll keep everyone updated as soon as I get the info. :sunglasses:

Disappointed that you are not including the Bluetooth model in the MultiCook and MultiStep functions. Would love to know why such a decision was made.

I agree with the post above…couldn’t you tweek the app to accommodate the BT model?

1 Like

Hey @Lynn3! I totally understand where everyone’s coming from! I know these are functions that lots of peeps are interested in. There’s a possibility there will be more positive updates on this - just want to get the RIGHT information for everyone here! Once I get confirmation of anything new, the community will be the first to know.

Having been involved in IT based product development I know that often early models are often physically impossible to feature upgrade to later versions. Might not have enough memory for instance or the processor being used does not have the required instruction set. Even your smart phone eventually gets left in the dust and though may still be supported likely won’t be able to have all the features of later models.

1 Like

See, that’s exactly the issue. It’s a niche market, with a lot of competitors, and more coming out all the time. You don’t want to risk doing things that are going to cost you potential customers. A single product (essentially) company in a competitive market is a precarious position to be in.

There are multitudes of reasons / examples how the existing customer could end up feeling that they were slighted or deceived by the company, or that the potential customer could see this lack of support for this model which happens to available on retail shelves right now as as a reason to look elsewhere.

Negative publicity spreads faster than good publicity. People who have the BT unit but feel neglected will tell their friends who are interested in sous vide to look at other companies product. People do their “extensive research” by reading the top 3-4 google hits. If one or two of those are negative, then they dig further. As silly as it sounds that bloggers are somehow now often regarded as expert authorities, a few bad blog reviews and they can hurt the sales. Doesn’t matter why they are negative doesn’t even have to be about this feature or lack thereof. Potential customers start getting turned off, and go out and buy a different companies unit. You’ve now not only.lost them, but the pyramid of people they could potentially refer.

3 Likes

True, but most of these features seem to be app based. All the cooker has to do is follow the on, off and heat to x temperature commands that it already does. The app should also be able to tell which unit it is talking to by their MAC address.

@fischersd had a better explanation in another thread that’s worth a read.

Yep, @acs is correct. None of the logic for the functionality is actually in the PC. Everything is in the app.
A couple of years ago, when most people were having an awful time trying to get the wifi setup completed, there were some discussions with development over how the setup could be done differently (in my opinion better), but ANova made the call that they didn’t want a lot of firmware changes being sent to the PC from the app.

Pretty much the only thing they’re writing to the PC’s memory is your wifi credentials. I’m thinking the unique key for the cloud connection is also held in the app, not the PC. (obviously, it sends temperature and time parameters as well).

The introduction of the userid/password in the app was almost certainly to eventually address the capability to have Multi-cook (as you’ll need to group the devices that have cloud connections - to securely control them).

One “benefit” to the bluetooth only devices (such as the Nano and original Bluetooth PC) when considering Multi-cook is that they don’t have a cloud connection - the only authentication / secure channel setup is with your app. As such, you shouldn’t even need a userid/password, just do the pairing for the multiple devices in your app.

Now, the current answer from the policy makers at ANova is that the BT PC won’t be given this capability. Me, I suspect this is a political decision…not a technical one, but we’ll see if more information is provided. :slight_smile:

1 Like

True. Depends on how they implemented and from fischersd’s answer it appears the app logically is where it is at.

I will posit that it has more to do with the old BT hardware than a simple app code. If the hardware does’n
t support it then it aint gonna happen.

I’d like to see the explanation over what feature set would be missing for the BT PC’s to not support the features.
I don’t think ANova’s been in business long enough to be using anything other than BT 4.0 in those units. Most BT 4.0 chipsets also had the BLE support.

1 Like

I just received my second PC WiFi unit today :smiley:

How long till you roll out these features? When I had one PC I wasn’t too bothered about multicook, but now it is absolutely essential for me.

Here’s a thought - if the issue is a circuit board, consider doing a “send-in” update or even a simpler repair/exchange at a very nominal cost. At least that way folks can choose whether to participate or not, but now Anove will not be perceived as leaving their original customers “high and dry”.