What was the first thing you cooked?

Love sous vide chicken! Have you made more of them without storing them with the flavors?

Ahh yum! I have yet to try out NY Strips. Sooooo many things to try and eat! :heart_eyes:

@easterntigerboo yeah you can!

On desktop, after you click reply, click the upload button. It’s the 7th icon. It looks like a rectangle with an arrow pointing up.

On mobile, after you click reply, just click on “upload.” It’s a the bottom right.

For those that are having trouble uploading images, it is probably because the file is too large. Most cameras these days produce a photo which is several thousand pixels wide and a few MB in file size. The forum can only handle images that are around 1024 px wide and under a MB in file size. Most photo images will require reducing in size by cropping and/or resizing.

@Ember is right! I’ve actually found more success uploading photos from desktop, rather than my phone, even it’s the same exact image.

The first thing I cooked was a USDA Choice T-Bone steak. I always liked to traditionally cook my steaks to medium rare, and wanted to replicate the process with the Anova SV process. In order to imitate the conventional preparation, I salted and peppered the raw meat prior to placing it in the ziploc bag. I placed it into the pot for 1.5 hours @ 130 F and seared it on a hot pan with butter.

It came out beautifully, to say the least. I was most pleasantly surprised by the tenderness and how juicy it remained; living up the reputation that the Sous Vide process is highly regarded for.

1 Like

Nice! I typically have my steaks medium / medium-rare, depending on what I fancy that day. I’ve have yet to try a t-bone steak (I freakin’ should!!!)

What else have you sous vide? @JustinS

I’m a big sucker for bone-in meat, but t-bone surely is a more special treat for when I have to celebrate getting the Anova! I’ve now cooked lamb, salmon, chicken breast and thighs, as well as a variety of steak cuts. I’m currently experimenting with the cold-brewed coffee as we speak!

@JustinS Yesssss!!! Let me know how the cold-brewed coffee comes out!

I actually love t-bone steaks but I haven’t cooked that up just yet. Been experimenting with a lot of veggies and other meats. Maybe the t-bone thing will be a great gift to myself this weekend! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My brother gifted my husband and I a vacuum sealer as a housewarming gift, so for our first test we vacuum sealed 2 salmon fillets with avocado oil, lemon pepper seasoning, and salt- thats it (you could use Ziploc bags if you don’t have a vacuum sealer). Put it in the fridge overnight. For dinner the next evening we brought out our brand new sous vide and after looking over the instructions set the temp to 126 degrees. It took about 10 minutes to preheat and then we put the salmon to cook for 30 minutes. Once it was cooked, we seared it on the outside to get a nice crunchy texture and done!

When I tell you that that salmon felt like butter in my mouth I am NOT kidding! IT WAS AMAZING!!:smile: It didn’t even need anything but I still sprinkled a little but of lemon juice on top. We were so pleased. We’re in love with the Anova Cooker!

2 Likes

@melramir Try using hot tap water it will reduce the warm up time significantly.

1 Like

Good idea! Thank you!

1 Like

Yes! Yes! Yes! On the salmon! You can cut it with a spoon - that’s how soft it becomes when sous vide. :slight_smile: @melramir

1 Like

Try Halibut. It is one of the most difficult of fishes to cook correctly using conventional techniques. It dries out very easily and almost becomes inedible.

With the Anova it turns out perfectly every time.

1 Like

Oh yum! Any recommendations for flavoring or marinating it?

1 Like

I personally use a little salt and pepper to finish. I simply put the fish in the bag and cook it. Halibut has such a delicate flavor that I think is lost with a marinade or other flavoring. Actually I cannot think of any fish that I season before cooking. If someone does not like the taste of fish unless it is covered with something you can find far less expensive white fish to serve.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I’m not used to cooking fish at all actually so this is good to keep in mind!

1 Like

For the most part I try and avoid cooking sauces and marinades. For my meals I may use a little au jus to accentuate the flavors and I pretty much avoid gravies. I sometimes throw some fresh herbs in the bag but that is about it. I try and eat slowly and enjoy the subtle nuances of the dish rather than overloading my palate with a heavy meal.

Of course there are days when I satisfy my cravings with fresh homemade biscuits topped with sausage gravy and fried eggs. When visiting Texas I normally have chicken fried steak and potatoes covered in gravy. Luckily I don’t travel there as much as I once did.

1 Like

My first meal was ribeye steaks at 130 for 2 hours, but it came out more medium than medium rare, so I think I probably need to calibrate my new Anova (and figure out why it won’t connect wi-fi with my phone or figure out how to connect by bluetooth instead - but that’s another issue - easy enough to set manually for now).

Had that for Sunday dinner. Now - I buy pretty large rib eyes, and we normally only eat half and save half for another meal. My boyfriend tore that steak up, had no left overs and was raving about how good it was.

Last night, I did thick butterflied pork loin chops. He raved about that too, and said “I like when you cook in that water thingy” (he doesn’t know a thing about sous vide - he just cares that it tastes good). He told a co-worker today how good both meals were.

I’m excited to learn more and try more recipes and techniques! ~ Robin

1 Like

I cooked t bone steak. 127 degrees for 1 hour. Next time I would try 2 hours. 2nd think was pork tenderloin. 140 degrees for 2 hours. I put some Yoshidas sauce in the bag in the morning to marinade, dry the meat before searing on the bbq. That was the best pork tenderloin we ever had. It was strange to eat it pink, but it is supposed to be safe to eat pork punk now.

1 Like