Anova Wifi now connects at 5GHz. Nice!

For several weeks now, my Anova 900W has been connecting via 5GHz instead of forcing me to switch down to 2.4GHz. No more need to reset the Wifi connection everytime. Was this part of the last software update? Very nice!

1 Like

Hmmm. We haven’t had any software updates that allow users to connect via 5GHz. I guess you were able to find a work around! :open_mouth:

I have downloaded two software updates at approximately the same time. The latest firmware update v1.0.1.14 for my Netgear router and the latest Anova update v2.5.0 dated Oct 19, 2017. Whoever or whatever was imposing this silly 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi restriction in order to use the Anova has decided to unlock it to 5 GHz. I inadvertently noticed the change a few weeks ago which coincides with the aforementioned updates. Regardless of who did what, it’s certainly a very welcomed step forward. I’m quite astonished to read that Anova had nothing to do with this new feature. If so, who should we thank?

Just curious if you still have a stable 5GHz connection? What about password strength? To my info the current model does not allow characters like „-_#%$*+<>“. Is this issue also fixed in this undocumented :slight_smile: update?
Currently I am still waiting for a pre announced new model which is expected to come first half of 2018. However, if current model is 5GHz and complex pathword capable I do not have to wait. This would be great!

Anonymous Anova-user - I can’t help you. All I know is that after the last afore mentioned updates, my Anova stopped imposing 2.4 GHz. I didn’t modify a single setting. I just updated normally and it started accepting 5 GHz without my having to switch down manually (which I found cumbersome and really stupid).
I don’t know about disallowed special characters. I don’t use any. I just use a mixture of numbers, capitals, and small caps and I don’t know what the big fuss is all about because if some twisted mind bastard wants to hack my entire home, I’m sure it can be done easily (regardless of password complexity). That’s what those idiotic bastards do. I’m really wondering if this sudden change from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz isn’t attributable to my Netgear router since its firmware was also updated at approximately the same time as the Anova’s. Frankly, I’m clueless. However, all works well at 5 GHz now. I was flabbergasted when AlyssaWOAH mentioned that the change didn’t come from the Anova. Only other possibilities are: Google? ISP? Netgear? (Unless I’m missing something.)
Frankly, I don’t care who fixed it as long as it works. I’ve always been puzzled by the imposition of 2.4 GHz limitations. Somebody seems to have come to his or her senses. The question is: WHO? I certainly don’t understand why this paranoid coward someone doesn’t come out publicly and show his/her ugly shameful face. Now the question is: Am I the only one to connect at 5 GHz? If so, why is that? :-/

Could I pester you to get the FCC ID off of your APC?

You have a version 2 Wifi unit (900watts) - version 1 was only 800 watts… I’m wondering if they didn’t put a different wifi module in the V2 unit.

Edit: Heh. May not matter even if I had it. They haven’t updated the User Manual for the Wifi unit since 2014:

Here’s the Wifi module that’s in the V1:
http://www.hi-flying.com/products_detail/productId=52.html

That “silly” module only has a 2.4GHz wifi radio…so, if it hasn’t been changed…

If they have changed the wifi module in the V2 wifi (that you have) then they REALLY should have updated the User Manual with that new information.

There’s also the possibility that the unit actually isn’t connecting to 5GHz, but your router software is saying that it is. :slight_smile: (stranger things have happened).

But, let’s see if they changed the wifi module.

Oh @AlyssaWOAH - could you check with your product management folks?

Copy/paste error? :slight_smile: (or maybe you’re trying to upload a picture)? Some sites won’t let you post pics until you have x number of messages. Not sure if there’s a limitation here.

In any case, I’m not sure the FCC ID would help. The one on my V1 wifi APC doesn’t come up in a search on the FCC site. (though the wifi module within it does).

We should wait for Alyssa to get the word on if they also updated the wifi module, rather than just the heating element.

Like I said…your FCC ID likely wouldn’t matter anyways. We’ll see what Alyssa finds out.

So, twice I told you to never mind, yet you persist because??? :slight_smile:

Like I said…it’s somewhat meaningless if the lookup on the FCC site doesn’t render any information.

The last time I checked (a few days ago) we hadn’t made any changes to this. But I’ll recheck. :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Then you are lucky! My stupid thing wont connect on any network. Tried all the so-called support tips here but nothing works… Time to throw the brand new thing away and go for the competitor!

I highly suggest reaching out to customer support so they can help you with connecting to Wi-Fi. @Knut-Ola_Lunde

i think the latest update’s bug fixes (2.8.11, June 2018), must have “unfixed” the wifi connection I was getting before…think Anova needs new engineers…or just one that knows Wifi !!!
For my 6 months of owning the (2) wifi APC’s, wifi reconnect has been a hit and miss challenging experience most of the time and to have to move the APC again to within 5 ft of my router when i want to cook again is just not an option anymore …
Sooooo disappointing

@cmyachtie I’m not disagreeing with your comments at all but I’m a big fan of just setting the temp right on the device and pushing the start. It’s simple and easy.

Sure i know and do that when i am home but why did i pay extra $$ to do this on wifi then?

Like I said - I don’t disagree with your comments at all!!! :slight_smile:

(Fingers crossed that they get the connectivity issues you’re having resolved soon.)

has this issue been fixed?

Mostly yes it does work ok now, sometimes when it doesn’t reconnect upon opening the app, just close it and reopen and it works every time now for me.