Delayed Start Option

@Alex_Semenyaka Are you referring to the ice bath feature? If so, it’s already in the app (for Wi-Fi).

Super excited about the “monitoring ice bath” feature. This is very useful!! Thank you!

Like many other users, I pack my frozen sous vide meat in the ice bath when leaving in the morning. Most of my cooking takes between 2 to 4 hours hours and I want them to be ready by 6:30PM.

Right now, I setup an alarm on my phone between 2:30PM and 4:30PM depending on what I cook, to remind me to remotely start the Anova device.

If I understand, this thread is asking about a feature that would allow to set a start time for the cooker directly within the app. If that’s correct, then I’d love it and use it all the time.

Any update on the feature potential availability time frame would be great!

Thanks for this great product, love it.

Hi @cailloux,
Regarding the ice bath feature I personally have not yet used it, but among those posting on this forum @SouthernDad is a seasoned veteran when it comes to ice bath cooks! You might be able to glean some first hand information on using it by taking a look at posts he has made on this forum.
Good luck!

2 Likes

it’s slightly concerning that your documentation has features that do not currently exist. scheduling is another fine example.

Come on. I’ve been waiting for 2 years on this simple feature! It’s a simple timer, it simply can’t be on the drawing board for 2 years!!!

I could really use it today (again)… I’m going to prepare a rather large potion of meat 12lbs (5 packs) thus my water bath is something like to 6gal… If I had the timer today I would set the timer to start heating the water (without meat in it) at like 5am so when I wake up at 7 I can put the meat straight in and still allow time for the meat to be cooked. Do I wait until 7am to start heating the water the anova struggles keeping up.

@StenerFranz, I know this doesn’t really address the issue, but I usually use an electric kettle in conjunction with my Anova when I start my cook. It can quickly bump your water bath temp up - especially useful on high temp cooks like Creme Brulee! You can have the water bath up to cooking temps in just a few minutes for those times when you’re in a hurry - or as in your case where you have a large volume bath to heat up.

I hope they add a delayed start soon, but until they do I hope this info helps you out.

I would also vote for Delayed Start feature. Very simple use case is - I want to have my eggs ready when I wake up, so I want to start the cooker an hour before. Seems like very simple, yet powerful feature. How do you solve this without delayed start? Having the cooker on for a whole night seems inefficient to me…

I am already hearing the arguments that delayed start feature is there for saving people from getting sick, but why you don’t let me to control if I get sick or not? And note below as this seems as mainly US forum and while googling this topic I noticed that there are different “eggs regulations” in US and Europe which requires the “US eggs” to be refrigerated while eggs in Europe are safe if kept at room temperature (of course, they last longer refrigerated) - I am quite sure nothing happens to it if kept outside for one night…

1 Like

Hi

When is supposed to implement delayed start. I have a sous vide cooker at home, and the only thing I miss is delayed start. I would like to eat in the morning when I wake up… so wifi option does not solve that, if mobile app does not support that.
The quickest solution for all Anova users would be by app delayed timer, that would send command to Anova cooker after delayed time is finished.

Please be responsive…

2 Likes

In an attempt to be responsive to the needs of SV Breakfast Clubbers everywhere, perhaps Anova’s product development team could produce an insulated all-in-one appliance that combines a refrigerated water bath and integral heating circulator with a variable controller to enable a safe delayed start based on the specific item to be cooked or reheated.

The delayed start component is easy. Airline in-flight catering systems have be doing it for over five decades. It’s getting an ever variable when-to-start product dependant function right that’s challenging.

“An insulated, all-in-one appliance” is going to be more along the lines of your traditional sous vide appliances in terms of pricing…not sure Anova wants to try to compete in that market.

All everyone wants is a basic scheduler - it’s up to the individual to determine how long their particular vessel will take to come up to their desired cooking temperature (through experimentation). Ratio of ice/water, how well insulated the vessel is, volume, how well sealed it is, ambient room temperature and even elevation will all contribute to the warming ramp-up time.

Basic feature, not a lot of excuses as to why we never got it (closing in on 3 years that customers have been asking for it).

2 Likes

+1 No excuse not to have this feature. This long, either development has stopped on the app or they are afraid of frivolous lawsuits for under cooked meat. I personally wouldn’t sue my oven manufacture if the power went out on it and I was dumb enough to eat it, or left chicen to cook in it with a 12 hr delayed start.

Requested simple features like this going into a memory hole seem to be par for the course just like the alexa skill was removed. Here I was hoping it’d be a simple matter to cut down on 30 mins to an hour of preheat time by setting the cooker to start heating an hour early but i guess asking for simple features from a smart device I paid extra for wifi control is too much to ask.

Seriously this thing isn’t just a simple physical interface why exactly? An app and wifi and bluetooth hardware just to use it as a remote control and egg timer. The only remotely smart thing this device does is the ice bath and even that had to be rolled back for ages.

1 Like

Any update? Checking in in 2019 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing.

Wow, how is this not a feature I just bought this as a second circulator because I was under the impression that the Anova was capable of this. Even my cheap Chinese circulator has this feature :man_facepalming:t3:

The company behind the cheap Chinese unit is probably not concerned about being sued should the use of the delayed start be found to be the cause of a death by food poisoning.

Surely there would be a simple way of adding a disclaimer and even making it “pop up” when a person went to use the functionality the first time stating not to be retarded and use some common sense and do some basic research if you’re unsure

You have seen the world we live in today. Idiots have to be protected from themselves. No one takes responsibility for their own actions. Burn yourself with takeaway coffee and it’s the cafe’s fault for making the coffee too hot.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that we have to cater to the lowest common denominator but surely it wouldn’t be an impossible task to create a watertight disclaimer that covers the company from litigation or even allow people to create the modification “at their own risk”

Well, not all food left at room temp for a few hours will get you sick! :slight_smile: