Vessel type for anova

I’ve been using the anova for a while in a large stainless steel pot but it is not an ideal shape and size and I would like a more permanent solution so I can reuse the water and have a permanent lid I can make a cut out for.

Regarding these things,
Does the material of the container matter? I’ve seen many pictures and mentions of polycarbonate containers, how about polyethylene? Like this one Hygiplas Polycarbonate Square Storage Container 10Ltr - CF024 - Buy Online at Nisbets
The matching lids are airtight so I believe the lid can be cut easier with a razor blade/scissors rather than the polycarb which I heard can be a pain to cut.

Regarding size, would I be better off with a deeper container like the one I’ve linked above, or a shallower one with a larger footprint? Like this (is available in 100mm depth as well). Vogue Clear Polycarbonate 1/2 Gastronorm Tray 150mm - U230 - Buy Online at Nisbets
I vaccum seal so I don’t need to clip onto the side or anything. Forgive me if I seem crazy, it’s only use will be for sous vide so would rather buy something right for me and not have to upgrade it later on because I rushed or cheaped out.

Thanks all!

There’s a few topics in the community about this. This is one of them:

Best Vessels/ Containers for Precision Cooking

Also, I believe that @acs @RichardOL use large vessels for their cooks.

That thread is what led me here :slight_smile: I am definitely more keen on a clear plastic type container personally not a fan of how the coolers look. I was concerned about plastic type though. Looking back that doesn’t seem to be an issue…

I also wanted to get opinions on what kind of size container Is best to get. I don’t want a massive container that takes up all the bench (if possible) and the smaller volume it is the better for faster heating up to temp.

1 Like

Ah gotcha! I use the Cambro vessels when I am cooking at work. I’ve never had an issue with it. Oh, and the vessel I use holds up to 8 quarts of water.

Lots of options as far as size, but just keep mind that the 800W version (bluetooth and most Wi-Fi models) can circulate 5 gallons of water, and the newer 900W Wi-Fi version can circulate up to 5.5. gallons.

Either of the linked containers should work.

I would not go for the 100mm depth option though, since for the precision cooker BT & Wi-Fi units the distance from the bottom of the impeller cap to the minimum water mark is about 76mm. So, the impeller cover would have to sit on the bottom of the container and you would still only barely have any water coverage, The max water mark is at about 155mm up from the bottom of the cap.

If I were buying for me, the 150mm depth container would be the minimum depth I would buy.

Good to know. I’ll probably get a 200mm deep one as I guess I don’t need to fill it up all the way. I’ve discovered a catering supply shop near me so I’m going to go see the different materials available.

Nope, don’t need to fill the vessel/container all the way to the top. As long the water sits at least above the minimum water line on the cooker.

I ended up getting this container (from a different shop).
https://www.restaurantequipment.com.au/vogue-polycarbonate-square-storage-container-10ltr.html

Looks like the cambro containers available in the US but with handles! Also got a matching lid which is a softer plastic so should be able to cut the hole with a pair of scissors or a knife so I don’t need to get a specific hole saw bit for my drill. And if the hole in the lid is no good for supporting the machine, I can turn it into a slot and use the bracket. Will post some pics when I get it done.

Edit: is it fine in the corner or should I put it in the middle of a side?

Regarding the placement - it really depends on what sous vide racks you’ll be using (but I find the corner best for mine) - where it is in the vessel really doesn’t impact the PC’s ability to circulate the water, so why not put it in the corner, out of the way?

You may want to investigate the type of plastic the lid is made out of. One advantage of the Cambro is that the lid is also polycarbonate and it locks - producing a seal (i.e. no evaporation). But, being polycarbonate, we know it will stand up to the same temperatures of the bin. A softer plastic/polymer may not be viable with some of these temperatures. Indeed - I wouldn’t leave it unattended…be a horrible thing to come back and find your PC actually IN the bath, shorting out.

That’s the thing - many of the cooks you do for things like ribs, short rib or brisket are prolonged cooks - some up to 72 hours. You really need to be able to rely on the stability of your vessel for the duration of that cook.

(reminder, getting a UPS - interruptible power supply - for long cooks is also a very good idea, as the PC will NOT resume a cook if it loses power as a safety feature).

btw…the Cambro has handles…the entire lip around the edge. :slight_smile: I normally fill it in my kitchen, then walk it to the back room to get the cook underway. :slight_smile:

Thats a good point about material of the lid. Looks like it can handle 70c/160f which is a bit of a bummer, but looks like most recipes for stuff I usually cook is under that temp anyway. I’ll have to do some trials with it over time as there is no other option apart from making my own custom lid or just buying a whole new container and lid which is a waste. Ill probably make a notch so i can use the bracket for max stability.

fwiw, I use this container and matching lid for most of my cooking which is generally 3-5 chicken breasts.

You may want to have a couple of different-sized containers to minimize water waste and speed up the prep time (though I frequently pre-heat the water on the stove, using a normal pot)

1 Like

Been thinking about making a cooler setup as outlined in the Blog a while back.

Cambro brand Containers are the best next to metal

I use the nesbits container you refer too.
It’s ideal. The top is easy to cut with a box cutter and for added insulation i wrap it in insulated bubble wrap.
I bought a small roll of insulated wrap through ebay from USA for about $30.00A. It keeps the heat in so the anova doesn’t need to work at keeping up with the losses through the container walls and top.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SILVER-FOIL-BUBBLE-WRAP-INSULATION-3-SQ-M-750-MM-WIDE-AUSTRALIA-MADE-CSIRO-TEST-/351689291969?hash=item51e250b8c1:g:JSkAAOSwI3RW-H1p

I have an 18 qt measuring container that I purchased at a restaurant supply store. It is approx 12" across and 16" tall. It is made from the same material that typical one and two cup plastic measuring cups are made of. It is clear. There is a plastic lid sold with it that is sort of opaque, but easy to cut out a slot for your Anova. You dont have to worry about the plastic being BPA free because your food never comes in contact with the water. This one is similar but mune is round. Choice 18 Qt. Clear Square Polycarbonate Food Storage Container with Blue Graduations

Hi, I had the same question when i started using my Anova to Souse Vide Cooker. I purchased the polycarbonate 1/2 gastronorm and i find it to be just the ticket.

Does the newer Nano have a gallon capacity rating as stated above for the 800 and 900 watt units?

@willpons it’s 3 gallons/ 11 liters for the Nano. :slight_smile:

I have used coolers, cambros, and pots. I have noticed that the cooler setup will work for longer cooks and is easier to cover to avoid water loss. Here is one of my setups:

m-

1 Like

Love the setup @Mario_D