Difference in Steam Below and Above 212°F?

Please, time and temp for a boneless skinless chicken breast. Using only the Mollier diagram.
:sunglasses:

About straw brooms; the high pressure steam plant was running at 1200 PSI, the meaning of high pressure steam. Medium is 600 PSI where my plants ran, and old traditional steam plants like my first in 1970 USS Paricutin AE-18 an ammunition ship rat at 300 PSI.

1200 PSI steam is invisible so steam leaks cannot be located by any normal means. The traditionally a straw broom was used, running it along the suspected location, localized when the straws were cut and blown out of the broom.

My first reactor plant was a 600# plant. As a demonstration of a major steam leak a 2” valve was opened in a superheat header and 2 megaWatts thermal was released. It looked like a pale blue flame and the noise was palpable. The water vapor did not become visible until it collected in the high overhead of the containment building.

Nowadays, steam leaks are so small that they are identified with thermal cameras long before they can be noticed with puny human senses.

“Ant that’s the truth! Plubbf.”. (Roseanne Rosanna Danna)

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin
Through Death’s Door

OK. I got a good pizza reheat (I actually ordered pizza last night, knowing I was going to be doing more testing today :slightly_smiling_face:). I also played with the oven empty first to get an idea of what might be happening.

Here’s my nearest guess. When set at or below 212°F, the APO adds water to the boiler right as the cook starts. But when the temperature is above 212, it adds the water to the boiler as it nears that. I stood by the oven and listened closely for both 212°F, 215, and 250, all at 100% steam, and letting it cool down to near room temp in between runs. At 212 I hear the click-click seconds after starting the cook. At 215 I heard it around 150, and at 250 I heard it 225. When the oven starts to produce full steam probably doesn’t matter much for longer cooks, but when it’s a 5 minute timer with a target temperate of 450°F, and it can’t even get near that target, it doesn’t seem to do anything much for steam. A preheat to 212°F with a 1 minute hold after makes plenty. Tonight I did a 250°F preheat with a 3 minute hold, followed by 5 minutes to a target of 350°F (it got to about 315 before time ran out). Steam was definitely being produced with this too. It resulted in a reheated pizza with a crispy crust, some nice browning around the edges of the pepperoni, but not so hot that I couldn’t enjoy it right out of the oven. Still plan on trying a bit more tweaking, but this is definitely the right direction.

Next, on to actually baking something from scratch!

This sound more like what I’d expect to happen. I probably didn’t understand, and also confused parts of the story since I heard it 26 years ago. Also probably conflated part of it with something I saw on Mr. Wizard’s World, where they boiled a kettle into a coil of copper tubing and heated that tube with a brazing torch in order to get the steam exiting hot enough to light a match (if I’m even remembering this correctly, as I saw this show probably 36 years ago).

Let me ask this. If I want maximum steam is sous vide 100%/212F the same as non-sous vide mode 100% steam/212F?

If I do 250F non-sous vide 100$ steam is that the same or less steam than the above?