Freezing cooked Steaks

Took a look at it. I guess if you have a smaller pot it just overhangs. The reviews seem to be good.

its just my hubby and me too. I dont see sous vide as a hassle. Although I have mine set up all the time and ready to go at a moments notice, i understand some or most dont. But what i do is buy multiple steaks and season or marinade and then put in individual vacuum seal bags, vacuum and freeze. When i want a steak i turn on the sous vide to the temp i like my steak, medium, cook for an hour and then drop the temp to hubbys liking, rare, and put his in for about and a hour and a half. i then take both out let rest for 5 minutes, cut the bag open, pat dry with paper towel and sear. Perfect every time.

I also do the above steps with chicken and pork also.

Also, if you are going to keep your anova set up all the time use distilled water as to not get a bunch of mineral deposit build up on your unit. I have had mine for over 2 years now and still looks brand new.

Rubbermaid Commercial Carb-X Space Saving Square Food Storage Container, 12-Quart, Clear (FG631200CLR)19.99

EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid Compatible with Anova Culinary Precision Cooker and 12,18,22 Quart Rubbermaid Container (Corner Mount) 9.99

i have mine set up all the time so its ready to go all the time. It is on a Wooden TV Tray next to my china hutch in my dining room.The above i found on amazon you might be able to find somewhere else.

use distilled water and keep the water level to 8 quarts. good luck

Ive had mine for over 2 years and it still looks and works like brand new

I envy you, Princess, Want to talk to my wife?

what about

About having sous vide equipment at the ready. I have to put it away all the time.

Taking them out of the refrigerator about an hour prior to reheating will allow them to come closer to room temperature, which may solve the problem.

This is not considered safe food practice and is not recommended. An hour sitting at ambient temperature will not raise the internal temperature by any noticeable amount.

I agree with you, but really, in the home environment, we do a lot of things that would not fly in a commercial establishment. Do you have a solution to this…and I don’t mean “don’t freeze them”. And, I should say, I’m not being snippy, but genually looking for a solution. Two person households and working people have a “situation”

Apensa, it’s difficult to understanding why so many users with your situation hold onto the cook-serve technique when Anova provides the significant benefit of batch cooking far in advance of service.

I consider the variety of single meal-sized cooked entrées in my freezer as stored work with many items cooked in one session. I don’t even have to be present during cooking.

At home or in a commercial setting we cooks are serving somebody else and owe them the care and respect of doing it as safely as possible.

Frank, Please don’t take it as if I were negatively criticizing what you said. The cook and hold has worked out great for me except that I would like to defrost and sear my steaks so they would be warm, if not hot, in the middle. Last night we had a couple of Top Sirloins that I had cooked Sous Vide and frozen. I defrosted them in the fridge and seared them; they were great. They were cooked to perfection and seared up very nicely, but still cool in the middle. That did not stop us from having a great meal, but I really would like to have a little more warmth in the center of the steaks. Even an ice bath like Baldwin suggests after cooking, will not cool down the middle and they would be fine. If you can come up with the magic bullet, I’d love to try it. In the meantime, I truly enjoy reading your input.

Thank you Apensa, i’m not particularly flexible when it comes to food safety.

And criticism isn’t a word i use, to me feedback is always preferable as in Feedback is the breakfast of champions.

And now for your silver bullet.
In between refrigerated thawing and searing give your steaks a warm water soak while you prep the rest of your meal, but leave your Anova rig out of this.

There have been countertop portable induction cooking units on the market for a few decades now. Most of them cost significantly less than $100 and the recent crop have thermostatic controls that will enable you to heat a 2-steak sized pot of water to a reasonably accurate temperature. See where i’m headed?

First one home from work turns on the induction cooker with a pot of warm water to take the chill out of your steaks. About 75 minutes will sufficiently warm most steaks, just keep the warming temperature setting below your cooking temperature.

Of course with silver bullets there’s always a catch, and with this one it’s you will need to use a ferrous metal pot. That means it’s magnetic. Grab a fridge magnet and browse through your pot and pan collection to find a small one with a bottom that the magnet will stick to. You will need one with a solid steel bottom, not a perforated metal disk glued onto an aluminum pot. Those aren’t strong enough to enable the cooker’s thermostat to work properly.

Enjoy your warm steaks.

I appreciate knowing you find my input useful.

Happy cooking.

Wow, you just opened up a Pandora’s Box of questions. First, why not use the Anova at a lower temp than the cooking temp of the original cooking? Second, I don’t get the significance of the fridge magnet…You mean like the ones that say, “I love grandma”? …just put it in the bottom of the pan? Any particular size? Can I use “rare earth” magnets that I have all over my woodshed?

OK Mr. Pandora, i just guessed you didn’t have your Anova rig sitting on your kitchen counter all the time as i do. Consider the Anova your silver bullet Plan B then.

Remember your situation? The SB idea is to heat just a small amount of water in something small to get it up to temperature with the meat in a minute or so. Induction heating is that fast. You want to eat, not play with water, or even worse struggle with the app. Besides, i’ve yet to find a recipe for heating water among all those recipes in the app.

Induction cookers are basically just a large coil in a box with a control and a cooling fan. Think of it as half an electric motor. The bottom of the cooking pot becomes the other half of the motor. Since the cooking pot isn’t going to be spinning it transforms the coil’s energy into heat which is conducted by the pot into the food. Cool.

Second, to save you a trip out to your woodshed i thought the easiest place to grab a magnet was right off your fridge door unless you’re a survivor of a Marie Condo session. Then you’re on your own. Yes, the “I love Grandma” one will do just fine because it was made with a little powdered iron and not some fancy RE. No particular size is necessary. Just slap the magnet on the outside bottom of a pan. If it sticks, it’s good. If not, keep searching. Some multi-layer pans use a different grade of stainless steel on the inside which may not be magnetic. So we always check from the outside.

Happy cooking friend.

Reheat your steaks to the cooked temp you cooked them before than sear. Your steaks will not know they have been in the freezer. Sous Vide COOK and FREEZE Experiment - Camping VLOG 2 - YouTube

Now that is nice and simple and makes sense. In other words you are not going to over cook the steaks; right?

OK, but I could use the Anova if I wanted. Regarding the induction unit; sort of like those one cup hot water units, but bigger. I still don’t understand where the magnet comes in. I guess I am thick.

The magnet is just to check to make sure your pot will work on the induction cook top. The induction system works on magnetics, so your pot needs to be ferric. A fridge magnet is the easiest way to check that.

Hi @apensa

With sous vide your steak won’t get any more “done” as long as you don’t increase the temperature. What will happen is that it will continue to get more and more “tender” the longer you keep in “in the bath”. What it really comes down to at this point is personal preference! (My wife prefers a longer cook on even tender cuts as she likes her steak VERY tender.)

Here’s a link to a video on YouTube that I hope you’ll find helpful (I’ve posted this link before, but hey! :slight_smile: ): Sous Vide Steak TIME EXPERIMENT - How long should you cook your STEAK? - YouTube

sorry about the delayed response. I dont get on the computer much. Will she not let ou keep it out? If you keep it out you will use it more and experiment more.