New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

@aaCharley Hm, so just to understand, you’re able to set the time and temperature manually (with the wheel), but then it stops and gives off a notification? Is the water filled to at least the minimum water line that’s indicated on the cooker?

I had recently attempted to pat dry a piece of ribeye, so much so that the internal juices are much removed after using more than ten cuts of kitchen towel before searing. The steak was SV at 54°C for 2 hours. Thereafter the sliced steak looks rather dry.

Perhaps I might be over aggressive in drying out the meat before searing, and need to guestimate how dry it has to be.

I honestly can’t say I’ve ever had this problem. I usually blot mine quickly, both sides at once, using a wad of about 3 layers of paper towel. Mind you, I do insist on buying a thick, absorbent brand.

Thanks will do in moderation. Cheers.

does anyone have any experience or times guides to heating pepperettes/salami to 155’F for curing purposes?

Like everything else you’ll need to look at the thickness of your salami. It’ll take roughly 30 mins per half inch of thickness for the whole sausage to come up to the temperature of the bath.

Time at temperature for fermenting would probably depend on the strain of culture you’re using.

Really stupid question: Does the Anova need to touch the bottom of the pot it’s in. I have a large tub, but it sits about 2 inches from the bottom of the tub.
Thanks!

Nope, doesn’t matter if it’s touching the bottom or not. Only thing that matters is the water level is between the min and max levels on the APC. (preferably close to the max level so you don’t have to worry about evaporation as much).

1 Like

Thank you! :smile:

I am cooking brined brisket weighing 6 pounds. After brining for 9 days I had no choice but to cut it half and vacu-seal it in two bags. Instructions for cooking a six pound piece: 140 degreed for 60 hours. Do I have to adjust the time in half because I have two 3 pound pieces in my sous vide container?

No. Just cook them as if they were a single piece.

So I’m super new to this and just got my anova yesterday(haven’t even opened yet). Just curious how many cuts of steak can I cook at once? I only ask because every video I have seen usually has a person just making one. I usually cook for my family of four so hoping I can make more than one at a time

As many as your container will hold and still allow water to circulate. 4 is no problem at all. Just don’t bag them on top of each other. (Do side by side)

do i need to defrost the meat??? or is it ok to season the frozen meat then put in a ziplock straight to the sous vide?

No. You can cook straight from frozen. For shorter cooks add approximately an extra 1/2 of the suggested time. For longer ones, 24 hours and more, the defrost time is a negligible part of the whole time.

so if the recipe says cook for 40 minutes, the cooking time is still 40 minutes for the frozen meat?

No. If the recipe says cook 40 minutes and you’re cooking from frozen add half the cook time extra. Therefore you would cook for recipe time + extra 20 minutes = total cook time of 60 minutes.

thanks!!!

I’ve cooked as many as 10 steaks at once in a Colman 24 can cooler. :slight_smile:

Newbie question. Is it ok to put the meat before i leave for work and just turn on my sous vide via the app? So when i get home, meal is ready.

Thanks