Cooking red meat at 70C

Hey all, need to cook some red meat at 70C due to a certain someone being with child. She has been advised meat needs to be cooked at this temp while pregnant. Who am I to argue? :wink:

I assume I can just up the temp to this and cook it the same time and itā€™ll be ā€œwell doneā€. I also assume I can pull the other meat out at, say 45 mins, for a less cooked version. Oh and itā€™ll be rump steak and about an inch thick.

Any other options?

Cheers

Actually, Iā€™d cook hers first. Then let the bath cool down to your lower temp and drop the other steaks in.

The extra time wonā€™t make the well done steak any tougher - and keep them all warm, so you can finish them all together.

Also, the time - you really donā€™t want to shorten your time to produce a ā€œless doneā€ version - thatā€™s what temperatureā€™s for. If anything, taking things out early will result in uneven cooking. Not a desirable result.

Iā€™d likely be cooking them for an hour at least.

If you havenā€™t seen them, the steak guide over on serious eats and the information (including thickness guidelines) over at Douglas Baldwinā€™s site have a plethora of information on making the perfect steak. :slight_smile:

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

3 Likes

If she is normally a medium rare person, Sous Vide can pasteurize at lower temps. Traditional methods, yea, it needs cooked well done for pregnant/compromised immune systems, but sous vide can provide the same level of pasteurization just over a longer period of time. So a steak that reaches 70C is immediately pasteurized, but the same steak cooked to 55C and held for the 3 hours is also pasteurized!

3 Likes