Covered container?

I purchased a regular plastic cooler and cut a hole (bandsaw) on one side of the lid. I noticed that the lid was hollow, so to avoid water getting inside and to better insulate it, I sealed it by purchasing metal duct tape (looks like nice shiny aluminum, not affected by heat) and sealed the cut edge. Shortly before sealing it, I sprayed expanding foam spray (Home Depot) to fill the interior of the lid. This helps avoid the problem of water getting inside. Finally, as a tip, take some masking tape and cover up any small holes in the lid. If not, the foam spray will start to come out of these holes. If this happens (as it did to me), wait for the foam to dry and then slice it off. You can remove the masking tape after the foam has dried. Don’t worry too much about getting the foam into every crevice. If you use a good foam spray like Hilti, it will expand like crazy! 

The lid is now very well insulated and, in combination with the cooler, means that the ANOVA uses relatively little energy heating and wastes little water when running for several days. 

1 Like