API in 2021?

Please, please, PLEASE provide an API. I have a lot of home automation, including a wall-mounted tablet in the kitchen that acts as a dashboard. Here’s a use case where an API would be wonderful:

I’m the nerd (food and otherwise). My wife and I have experimented and come up with a few great recipes for bread that she makes over and over again. Because they are multi-step recipes, every time my wife wants to make bread, she has to ask me to start the program. I would love to put a button on the kitchen dashboard for “Bake bread” or “Bake rolls” where it would just kick off the program.

In that same vein, the UI on the control panel is (understandably) a bit weak. If I want to broil something after a low-temp steaming, I need to hold down the temp + to turn it way, set the top burner, remember to unset the convection burner, and turn the steam to 0%. I would put a “Broil” button on my kitchen dashboard to just do that for me.

Please give me an API!

1 Like

Please extend to other countries, e.g. the EU :wink: thanks

Don’t forget about Japan, please. It doesn’t need to have Japanese language support, just allow the skill to be listed…

API in 2022? :person_facepalming: :rofl:

Bumping this up. Please know, Anova, that the Venn diagram of food-nerds and nerd-nerds is practically concentric circles.

If the timeframe for an API is too long, here are some things that could help scratch the itch in the meantime:

• Make the Alexa skill good. Include commands for temperature, steam percent, and heating element, as well as on and off. We could use a tool like Voice Monkey to fake an API.
  • Make the app good. Make it faster. Put what I want to do on the default page (use your analytics to see what people do most). Allow me to put Widgets for recipes on my Android home screen.

But please, release and API.

Im chiming in - just spent a month implementing home assistant - id love an API for the oven as well.

1 Like

bump

(+1 for local API)

Anova’s response?

p

One more vote to get API for Home Assistant in place…

1 Like

ANOVA has shown not only disinterest in providing an API but also taken time to make the internal API extremely difficult and bothersome to use.

You have to get hold of an ID that isn’t visible anywhere to a normal end-user. Even after that you have to accept that the private API accepts only requests from one device. If you setup something to use the private API the Anova app stops working.

There are multiple other companies that haven’t taken this stance. Look elsewhere if you want this smart device to be or actually act like a smart device.

If, on the other hand, you want to have to open an app just to set a timer, this is your device…

No physical way to set a timer and no API. Every time I use this Anova I regret it.

1 Like

I realise that we all might just sound like some nagging toddlers still going on about this, but as you can see there are lots of people that would love some kind of automation.
In august 2021, more than a year ago, you let us know that you would be looking in to sharing your roadmap. We haven’t really heard anything about that.
I would love to hear something from Anova. No is also an answer we will of course respect, but at least we can all stop waiting for it then.

I think in a day and age where even big companies like Amazon, Apple, Google and IKEA, Huawei, etc. have understood the the smarthome is doomed to fail if they do not introduce inoperability with each other and created matter for exactly that reason, it is really not too much to ask for a simple method to retrieve read only information like on/off, temperature, humidity, etc. from the device through a REST API/simple web frontend. Something that wouldn’t touch the app and could be implemented in less than 3 hours…
I like my oven and I will continue to use it, because I am interested in technical stuff. For the avarage customer it is more bothersome then helpful if they have to open an app to access basic functions.
Without any added value that a smarthome integration could provide (display the timer on the tv, turn on the kitchen fan when oven is above ~100 degrees, etc.) there will be no further acceptance - no matter how much advertisement on Facebook one does.

Anova devs are real anti open market pricks, eh? Won’t allow local access for no reason other than being worried about someone seeing what poor cobwebs are under the hood.

I don’t think I will buy this without a proper API. Everything I seek to buy must have some sort of access to control the device. Things are becoming more and more connected and many people know how to do it without Amazon or some other company taking your data.

Another bump for an open API and a real web interface.

1 Like

+1

Well, if they are locking accessibilty / functionality, how about an appropriate DISCOUNT on product where countries can only use “DUMB ANOVA” !? …fairs fair, I wonder how many people bought it on the basis of all singing & dancing alexa / siri integration touted by the product marketing pushers (e.g. but not necessarily including Kenji Lopez alt …or whatever) & have found apart from all the cracked water tanks, various electronics fritzing out (etc) a product that over here we have the legal term of “goods not fit for purpose” (where a manufacturers warranty is not necessarily the end of reasonable expectations from goods, if pushed) & would maybe like to return it on that basis (warranty or not) …but frankly it takes the P155 if a company advertises “skills” but then doesn’t implement them across the board, how come that was the route taken @anovaculinary & @colewagoner ?

1 Like

I wish the oven could expose a WoT Description. if @anovaculinary is interested I can even help on it, we need use-cases and it would be a good one.

If you are interested in unofficial solution: GitHub - huangyq23/anova-oven-forwarder: Collect data from Anova Precision Oven

1 Like

Hopefully someone can integrate this with home assistant.