How to use Foodsaver without juice from food leaking into tray when sealing even when you are using the gentle and moist setting

Thankyou.

like a marinade, meat juices, anything like that.

that’s a great idea…

In most cases i’ll do my vacuum seal while the item is frozen, then let it thaw in the fridge (good 24 hours) or let it thaw on the counter (usually less than 6 hours), then SV it… seems to work well that way

You can also set it to “moist”, as soon as the liquid starts to rise towards the sealer, hit the “seal” button, it will stop the pump and seal the bag. Just have your finger ready & be quick… The bag does not have to be vaccumed tight, same as if using the immersion method with a ziplock.

1 Like

Judy, i asked because i was trying to understand your purpose in sealing meat with liquids.

First, please understand there’s a significant difference between marinades and the natural liquids in meat. Consider that marinades are often acidic and are used to flavour and tenderize meat before cooking, not during. It’s one of those elements of cooking when more, or longer, isn’t always better. Often in classical recipes you can reserve a marinade, or meat liquid, before cooking and then use them or a reduction to finish the dish.

Also, once the meat liquids are out of meat there’s no way to put them back and they can’t add any flavour while cooking.

I encourage you not to try to deal with the frustration of attempting to seal a fluid with the meat you SV cook.

I like to freeze my marinades in large ice block containers then when I need them I place my meat of choice in the bag add the frozen cubes of marinade seal and SV. You can also let them defrost in the sealed bag in your fridge to get a good even coating of the marinade on your meat before you SV.

I am about to try to fix my foodsaver, the liquid filled the tray, and now the light won’t go off, even though I have cleaned and dried it thoroughly, but found instructions on utube of how to fix it, thankyou.

thanks.

thanks this seems like the best idea.

A chamber vacuum sealer eliminated all those problems. I seal and freeze chicken broth with no problem.

not sure what you are talking about?

Hi @Judy_L_Kurban

A “Chamber” vacuum sealer works differently than a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. A Chamber vacuum sealer can easily vacuum seal liquids.

Watch this video fer a full explanation…

Yes sometimes I do. For example octopus needs a lot of time. 15 to 24 hrs. Then sous viding it from frozen is no problem. For other recipes you should add half the time of cooking it normally. So if you would usually cook for 3 hrs from frozen you would cook for 4.5 hrs.

You can thaw it anyway you like. A good microwave with a defrost function would certainly do the trick.
You will need a microwave that hasetting for this otherwise you might start cooking the meat! Thawing in the fridge also works fine. Just takes a little more time.

I usually use Freshsaver ziplock bags with the vacuum port for anything with liquid in it. For a small amount of liquid, I raise the port corner of the bag onto a box or thick cookbook and use the accessory hose, and stop when the liquid reaches the port.

For a marinade, I lower the bag into the sous vide water (not yet hot) right up to the zipper, and seal the zipper. I find marinades often produce gases during cooking, so it’s convenient to be able to open the end of the zipper to let the gas out.

thankyou, I have ordered a new foodsaver, as I couldn’t fix mine and it is out of warranty.

Yes. With longer cooks it’s not a problem. If you are cooking for 15 hrs or so you don’t need to worry about defrosting. With shorter cooks just add another 39 to 45 minutes.

It should be noted Goshin’s recommendation for shorter cooks neglects the fundamental consideration of thickness in SV cooking. An additional 39 to 45 minutes of cooking will likely be suitable for a 1-inch thick piece of frozen meat.

However, as an example, if you are cooking a 2-inch thick slab of meat from frozen Baldwin (2008) calculates that an additional 1 3/4-hours of cooking time is required.

Point taken Chatnoir!