Just bought an Anova? WELCOME!

Rob in Long Beach, NY!

I received my Anova a few weeks back. I cooked a pork loin and it came out almost like a prime rib.
Cooking up some sausages now for sausage and peppers. It will be nice to cook it properly in the center without losing too much of the juices. I will finish it off with a sear in a cast iron pan and mix it with the sausages that will be cooked separately.

Hi Iā€™m Julie from Canberra Australia and I have just unboxed my Anova wifi. Iā€™m looking forward to making at home a very rare steak that is actually hot in the middle rather than hot & over cooked or seared and cold in the centre - SV appears to be the answer. Iā€™m also interested in the ice bath function, but will need to invest in some new equipment if itā€™s to work in an Australian summer.
Looking forward to learning from all the SVgurus in the community - thanks for the warm welcome.
Cheers Julie

Hi All,

I havenā€™t received my Anova yet, but was told it should be arriving by Friday in my Birthday card I opened this morning.
So decided to download the APP and start looking around and cant wait to start.

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Hello,

I received an Anova from my wife over Christmas, I look forward to learning from all of you here. My culinary passions were primarily grilling, so far I have been fascinated by the Anova and look forward to adding it to my arsenal of kitchen gadgets.

Cheers,
Cesar

Got my anova when you did the amazon saleā€¦
So far Iā€™ve cooked filet, both frozen and defrostedā€¦ Ribeye right out of the fridgeā€¦ and 3 sets of chicken breasts and thighsā€¦
Everything is deliciousā€¦ perfectly cookedā€¦
Iā€™ve only been doing short cooksā€¦ 1 - 1.5 hours for the steaks and 2 - 2.2 hours for the chickenā€¦
The steaks were @ 130 the chicken breasts @ 150 and i donā€™t remember what temp i did the thighs atā€¦

I wonder if anyone has done any combined bbq/anova cooking ?? i.e. smoke the meat first, then finish in the anova ?

Brian, congratulations on your successes. Try keeping a journal recording all your SV cooks so you can replicate your winners.

You certainly can season and smoke meat before finishing SV.

You will get a little dilution of the smokiness from moisture loss, but on the other side it seems the smoke ring obtained is a little bigger. 24 hours for a butt @165F does it for me.

If you want some bark, reapply some rub after SV cooking and finish in your smoker or an oven. It usually takes about 1 1/2 hours at 275F to crisp up nicely, but i spritz a few times with 50/50 apple cider & apple cider vinegar for a little sweet and sour tang. I donā€™t sauce.

Save the SV meat juices for your sauce if you make one, or just warm them and run into your pulled meat for a little extra smoky piggy-ness.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Alyssa.
I received the Anova Sous Vide as a Christmas present and am just getting all the accessories together that I will need, i.e. large container for water, lid to keep the heat even, vacuum sealer to keep water out of food. I canā€™t wait to start using it. My son-in-law has a Sous Vide and I have tasted many of the meats he has prepared using this cooking method. All were delicious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Everyone,
I was gifted my Anova for Fatherā€™s Day. I made a few hints, so it was somewhat expected, but more importantly, very appreciated.

This will be great for thawing and heating frozen portions of the meat I smoke. And I want to try it on every type of uncooked meat, as well. I have four chicken thighs in there right now.

I am using a recipe from the IOS app, and read the Guide on poultry. I actually have a question about the chicken thigh guide. Where do I ask that?

There seems to be two different recommended temperatures in the ā€œaboutā€ article. At first the writer says 145-150, and writes at lenghth it is not 165. But then at the end they are recommending 165, which goes against the entire first half of the article.

What gives? Or where do I ask what gives?

Thanks!
Ed

1 Like

@Edneely Thank you for introducing yourself and welcome to the #anovafoodnerd forum! The poultry guide question can be asked here. Thereā€™s a couple of different temperatures, depending on what you like. I will take a look at the app now to make sure itā€™s not confusing.

Also, can you PM me? Trying to pinpoint the issue with the guide.

Hi Ed!

My personal experience is that the chicken breast is fantastic at the lower temps (140F - 150F), while chicken legs & thighs are better cooked at higher temps (160F - 165F).

Probably could be simplified by saying cook light meat at low temp, dark at high - but my personal experience is with the two specific cuts Iā€™ve mentioned above.

Good luck and welcome! Youā€™re going to be happy with your fathers day gift! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! If Anova agrees with you, they should update that lengthy chicken thigh guide article under the ā€œaboutā€ tab to reflect that. It makes quite a lengthy and compelling case for cooking at a 145-150.

My thighs at 150 turned out great, but not fall off the bone tender as promised. Iā€™m going to go with 165 next time, and see what I get.

Sounds good!
Since everyone has different tastes you may just find that thighs at 150F just happen to be perfect for you - but you may like them at 165 even better. Experiment! As for ā€œtendernessā€ versus ā€œdonenessā€ā€¦hereā€™s something short I posted a while ago that I hope you find useful:

Remember - temperature determines ā€œdonenessā€, time affects ā€œtextureā€, and most importantly (imo) the combination of temperature and time must be long enough for ā€œsafetyā€.
See the link below to Baldwinā€™s excellent specifics on the last! (Safety!) :slight_smile:
http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety431