New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

So Happy to be a new Nerd! Just got my new Sous Vide and did some knock out Venison Backstrap. Going to try the Pork Tenderloin tonight.

1 Like

When a recipe says to cook it 1 - 4? My understanding is it would be done in 1 hour . . . but it can be left for 4 hours without overcooking . . . is that correct?

Pretty much.

But recipes also have to make allowance for variability in things. A recipe might say 1 steak, but that steak may be 1 inch thick or it may be 2.5 inches thick. An inch thick steak will take around an hour… a 2.5 inch thick steak will take a bit over 3. It makes a difference. People that publish sous vide recipes really should get into the practice of giving an idea of the thickness of things.

Thanks for the reply . . . We received the Anova for Christmas . . . we tried it on a steak . . . great . . . I have been reading as much as I can find regarding the system. Sometimes things are not self-explanatory. Here’s to great cooking! Thank you!

Some very worthwhile reading.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

1 Like

Regarding “ping pong balls being a pain in the ass to clean”

Can’t you just put them in a mesh bag and put in the top rack of the dish washer? Like washing legos?

They’ve usually only had water on them, anyway.

How do I bring the water up to temperature remotely?

Also, it would be great if I could control the Anova with my Lenovo smart display.

You can do this if you have a Wi-Fi Anova Precision Cooker. Just be sure to have it already plugged in and have the device connected to your app.

Just had an odd thought…
Once you’ve pulled your food out after cooking put in a drop of dishwashing liquid into the already hot water and “swoosh” those pingpong balls around in the soapy hot water. Rinse and your done!

Alyssa,
I have frozen pulled pork in my freezer, can I reheat with the Sous Vide?

My ziplog back failed 36hrs into my chuck roast, is my roast ruined?

It won’t be optimal but it’ll still be edible. The truly sad thing is all those wonderful cooking juices lost.

Dry your meat off. Give it a bit of a pinch to see if it needs more time. Rebag it ans send it for another swim.

Yes you can. :slight_smile:

I just received my Anova and tried cooking a boneless 10 ounce ribeye steak. I followed the recipe, cooking at 130 degrees for 2 hours. I followed the finishing method on my cast iron pan, putting a sear on the steak. When cutting in to the steak, we found that it was raw to rare and had to do some additional time on the skillet. I am wondering why the steak was not done. I even checked the water temp throughout the cook.
THANKS in advance!

How thick was the steak? Cooking is about heat penetration. It’s the thickness which governs how long heat will take to penetrate your steak. If it was only an inch thick the two hours should’ve been adequate once the bath was up to temperature. If your piece of steak was 3 inches thick, then the 2 hours is unlikely to be sufficient time to bring the steak up to equilibrium with the bath.

Also, you’ve not said if the bath was up to temperature when the steak was placed in the water and you began timing.

Basically, the more information you are able to provide, the easier it is for us to help you troubleshoot your cook.

In addition to what ember asked, did you have it resting on the bottom of the vessel, or does you have it raised to allow for adequate water circulation?

Absolutely basic newbie question here: Is it OK for the cooker to be in contact with the base of the pan, or should it be clear of the base, or does it not matter (assuming that latter as no instructions appear to exist on how to place t)

It’s fine for it rest on the bottom.