New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

First post and thought this was a good place to start. I see lots of info on cooking small stuff steaks chicken pieces etc
But was wondering about roasts. Is there a guide somewhere for finishing roasts?eg, if finishing roasts in the oven sous vide to medium rare then cook for x amount of time in oven to render fat and achieve tender but well done roasts.
Or lean cuts that dont need to be rendered, when searing a medium rare roast on high heat, blow torch or charcoal grill you will increas doness on an x thick border?(or are these things you learn with practice.

Also what are experienced peoples thoughts on blow torchs is industrial gas catridges propane and pro gas safe for food contact? And do the negatively affect the flavour. Lots to read and learn while I cram info while waiting for my anova to arrive👍
I think I get the gist of how this cooking method works temp=doness time = texture(tenderness) and with all meat thaw in frige or cook /reheat from frozen.
Final question is insulating the cooking pot a good idea making it more effecient reducing power usage? Thanks and look forward to the answears… look forward to starting my adventures in the near future

Actually, roasts are even easier as there’s less chance of overcooking when finishing. Any of the finishing methods you use for small stuff will work for roasts (ie. pan sear, oven sear, grill, torch, etc.). Searing time is about the same as well (about 30 to 60 seconds per side when pan or oven-searing, or about 10 to 15 minutes in a 450F or higher oven). I’d recommend avoiding oven sear with thinner roasts like pork tenderloin to keep from overcooking.

Insulating the pot can be a good idea on long cooks, not so important for short cooks. Eliminating water loss due to evaporation is usually a higher priority for me. Covering the cooking vessel with aluminum foil or plastic wrap eliminates a lot of water loss and also protects your Anova device from steam. Check out some of the forum posts on cooking vessels to see other options.

Finally, I’d recommend keeping a sous vide journal so you can keep track of what works and what doesn’t. Good luck.

The biggest difficulty with roasts is finding the time (or time and temp combination) that will produce the desired outcome. Different muscle groups require different amounts of collage breakdown for tenderness. There is no real hard and fast rule and tastes vary greatly.

Awesome looks like it will be a challenge and keep me occupied for many years to come. Thanks for the replies and I will see you on the forum👍

My anova arrived today…i did a rump steak bout half inch thick from frozen with bit butter and salt, and pepper and garlic and it come out dry…65.5c 2hrs. tenderness was on par with pan fried . was it dry because it was cooked to long or because it was to high temp. I was aiming for medium well and tender as possible…The same rump in a pan I can do juicy and tender…but not crazy tender…I was hoping for crazy tender no blood but still juicy. I was suprised at amount of fluid in bag about 1/4cup

Firstly, it’s not blood, it is myoglobin. Blood flows through veins and arteries. Myoglobin is present in the muscle. Anyway, it’s a little beside the point.

Now, to your steak. The 1/4 cup of moisture loss from a frozen steak cooked at this temp is not surprising. Moisture loss increases with increase in temperature. Also, freezing ruptures the cellular walls and so the freeze thaw process increases the moisture loss. Have you ever noticed the mixture that pools on the plate upon which you thaw a steak? This is myoglobin from the traumatized muscle.

I’d consixer dropping the temperature to 63.5C. This is at the lower end of the medium well range, but even that little change will have an impact on the moisture loss.

Another thing to consider is the thickness of your steak. Half an inch is very thin on terms of sous vide processing. It is fine for the cooking it in the water bath, but it is very easy to over cook it and tighten the muscle further when wearing it. Remember, that steak is already cooked to your required doneness. The seating is for presentation and flavour. In order to get the desired surface treatment on a thin steak without pushing the interior beyond your perfection you need to be very very quick and that takes experience.

Ok awesome I will get thicker steaks in future and drop my temp a tad. Thanks for the info on myoglobin also I always thought it was blood, either way not a fan. Butt I like my steak juicy!! :slight_smile:

Attempt 2 dropped temp to 62.5 and time for frozen 1/2" steak to 1.5hrs. Seared in butter. Little bit pink but texture and juiciness were spot on…attempt 3 will be 63c same amount time…very happy now to go talk to butcher😎

1 Like

Glad it worked for you. Just creep the temp up until you find your perfect spot. Always a good idea to keep a journal of your cooking experiments. Cut of meat, time, temp, finishing technique and a review of the outcome are all good to record.

Weight is NOT the guideline you want to be using. THICKNESS is what you need to be concerned with!! Sous Vide on!!

I do have a question, how do I post without hitting reply to do so? Thankyou

If you are looking to reply to an individual message you it reply on the actual message.

To respond to the thread, hit the reply button at the bottom.

To create a new thread you can do that from the main page.

And, IMPO, the corners of the zippers.

Well, I tend to use paper clamps to secure by bags to the side when using an uncovered vessel. (I like to ensure they’re off the bottom so they’re well surrounded by water). Sous vide racks work well for covered vessels to keep separation between the items that you’re looking to cook.

I have a little rack that not only keeps the meat (the bag) slightly off the bottom, but the side can tilt in and over the top to hold the meat down to. I just weight the thing down with spoons and butter knives :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi.

My burning question is about using the app/timer with my immersion device. I’ve always simply set the temperature, put in the food, and taken it out when time is up. I don’t see how a remote or timed start is even possible.

For example… If I leave the house at 8 a.m. and want to start my ANOVA at 3 p.m. and finish at 6 p.m., I have to put the food in the “bath” before I leave. Is it safe to have meat/poultry sitting in room temperature water from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.? Seven hours seems like a long time for meat to sit outside a refrigerator.

I haven’t seen this addressed anywhere so any info or help is greatly appreciated.

LOVE this device, by the way. So much so that when I saw a used one for sale on Ebay, before I bought it, I tried to convince the seller to keep it!

Thanks for any help.

AF

Regarding using original packaging… I’ve called a couple of companies (Bell & Evans for one) and asked if I could sous vide in their packaging and both replied that it was not made for that. I’m not sure they knew what sous vide was but I’m going with a no. IMHO, though, this cooking method is becoming so popular that I would bet that the more “aware” meat and poultry producers will soon be providing packaging marked, “Sous Vide Ready!”

I regularly put frozen products into the correctly temperatured water. It works fine and I just make sure to leave it in a while longer than usual. Since you can’t really overcook in sous vide you can error on the side of longer baths and not worry.

Good luck!

In this kind of instance you would need to fill your container with ice and water and use the ice bath function (if it’s available again currently) to circulate the icewater and keep your meat at safe temperatures. When the device detects that the water bath has melted enough to reach into the danger zone the device issues an alert for you to turn it on to cook mode.

i have not used this method and don’t really find remote activation or monitoring particularly useful, but that is the way you would need to work it.

I plan to SV a 10 lb prime rib roast for Christmas at 138F. How long do I need to cook it. Looking at online recipes, I see times that range from 6 hours to 24 hours, but none are for a 10 lb roast.

What are the dimensions of your roast? Size matters, weight does not.