New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

Anyone tried pasteurizing eggs? Lot’s of Japanese food calls for using raw eggs and I wanted to know if anyone has been successfully pasteurizing eggs (degrees x time) and have them come out as good as raw .

1 Like

Hey @sayakat I’ve never pasteurized eggs, but this article from Life Hacker might help.

1 Like

Hi,
I just got my APC and about to cook it for the first time. I would like to know, if I set the timer on my phone. When the time is complete, will the APC turn off itself or I have to turn it off manually at the actual unit. Also my Bluetooth is too easy to disconnect even when my phone is very close to the unit. Any one has the same problem, any suggestions to fix it, thanks!

The APC will continue to run at the temperature set. All the the timer actually does is make the APC beep annoyingly once the timer has run down. :slight_smile:

So, I’m very new at this and a little confused…how can I tell if the meat is actually done, and by done, I mean, 130 degrees all the way through?

What are you cooking? How thick is it? It takes approximately 30 minutes per half inch of thickness for heat to travel through the meat.

This is the best reference material for sous vide experimentation:

Douglas Baldwin: A Practical Guide to Sous Vide

2 Likes

Hey @Jitlada I answered your question in the thread you’ve started! :slight_smile:

But here was my response: BT connection might drop if you’re out of range. I recommend reaching out to support@anovaculinary.com if the BT connection is giving you issues. Also, the APC will not turn off when the timer goes off. To turn the APC completely off, you’ll need need to unplug it.

An easy solution to your problem would be to cook without leftovers. :slight_smile:

Quick chill is recommended for things you are planning to refrigerate or freeze. If the pasteurised food remains sealed in the bags it can be quick chilled and stored for an extended time without freezing.

Leftovers are usually already out of their cooking bag, so should be used within a day or two of cooking, or else frozen when cooled to room temperature.

The point of quick chilling is to get the pasteurised food through the danger zone as quickly as possible.

Eileen, - Ember is correct.

To preserve food quality you always want to freeze quickly and thaw slowly under refrigeration to minimize cell damage.

Use that first line-of-thought. A 50/50 ice bath with some agitation is the most practical quick-chill method at home.

1 Like

I already have salmon, tenderloin, etc vacuum packed but i wrapped them in saran wrap before I put them in the bag. Can I cook them as is or do I have to open them, remove the saran wrap and repackage them before I cook them?

Is it “Saran®” brand flexible plastic film or some other brand? And is the flexible plastic film listed as “microwave safe”?

While the flexible plastic film is likely food safe, the same as the vacuum bag, I would suggest opening the package, remove the plastic film and any paper layers, then reseal the bag or put into another cooking bag.

Some flexible plastic films will “heat shrink” and make it more difficult to remove from the cooked food.

As long as the bag has no air pockets, it will be fine. The key to sous vide is getting rid of any air pockets that act as insulation.

Hi Alyssa, I’m frustrated because the anova precision cooker which we received for Christmas won’t turn on when I plug it in. It worked 3 weeks ago and now…
nothing. Contacting support is a fool’s mission; it’s so hard to actually communicate with someone. The FAQ’s aren’t any help. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks. Be well.

@Bobplamte I’m sorry your Anova seems to be sick :head_bandage: . That’s something I can definitely help you with.

What happened when you contacted us? I can look into this! Do you happen to have a ticket number with support?

Actually - I’ve found your ticket. Jona has responded to your ticket about 10 minutes ago. She’s looking into getting your defective unit replaced, she’s just waiting for additional details from your end. Jona’s great, she’ll make sure you’re taken care of. :slight_smile:

Wow!! Steven, thank you!! Your postings have been a great great help to novice like me!!

I’m “newer” than you, as I’ve just ordered my APC, but I’m thinking that you can test the core temp by inserting an instant-read thermometer (such as a Thermapen) into the thickest part of the meat to assure you’ve reached the temp you are looking for. I’ve found a couple of charts/tables giving recommended SV time & temp for various meats. Until I develop confidence in the APC (and myself), I plan to “test” the core temp of meats cooked to my prefered level of doneness according to the chart. I’ll do this before searing (or chilling-down to freeze) so I can SV the meat a bit longer if necessary. As a newbie, I suspect I’ll be keeping a lot of notes as I get used to this new way of cooking. (I’m going to laminate one of the charts so I can write on it with a marker while I get some experience. Then I’ll make “permanent” notes on a “clean” copy of the chart, laminate it and keep it handy. Kinkos - here I come!)

1 Like

LillyJo, because you will be cooking a wide variety of food items as you progress with your APC i suggest you start a SV journal. In it you record the details of each cook and most importantly, its outcome and your suggestions for improvement. Be sure to record the name or type of the menu item, its thickness, cooking temperature and time. That’s more than you will likely be able to record on a chart.

The real value in having a journal is it will be your foundation to becoming an ever-better cook. You will have your own permanent, repeatable record of all your successes.

I have discovered most of the published time and temperature charts are sufficiently reliable. (except maybe in “Under Pressure” by Thomas Keller) I have rarely had to add to recommended cooking times. The most significant benefits of SV is the accuracy and leeway it provides in achieving superior results.

Happy cooking.

1 Like

Thanks for a great suggestion! I’ve never been much for maintaining a journal, but I can certainly see the benefit when embarking on a new (for me) cooking style. I’m going to use the elements you suggest as the starting point for an Excel spreadsheet on which to record my efforts. One reason I’m excited to learn SV is that when I cook for friends, the doneness preference for all but one person is “medium rare” to “medium”, and one meat-eater in our group wants everything “well done” - regardless of the evolution of food science regarding “safe” core temps. My hope for SV is that - when planning a dinner party - I can separately pre-cook meats (e.g., pork tenderloin, steaks, lamb loin) to medium / medium rare and well-done, and then sear all portions just before service. (Vs. roast or grill everything to medium / medium rare, and further cook one portion to well-done in the microwave for service as I do now.) Thanks for the jump start on the structure of my Excel spreadsheet!

My pleasure, you’re very welcome. And SV is an entirely different cooking technique to what you have been doing so there is some considerable focused learning involved. Plus, most SV beginners don’t realize there’s a significant difference between cooking techniques and recipes.

For decades, one of my favourite expressions has been, “Feedback is the breakfast of champions.” We all need detailed information on results to improve. Your Excel spreadsheet will be a useful tool. Don’t omit recording the results of each cook and your suggested adjustments.

In the last century SV became a common restaurant tool in Europe because chefs were faced with the same dilemma you are experiencing. How to prepare multiple portions of varying degrees of doneness while enhancing both product quality and kitchen efficiency? You own their solution.

Chef’s secret: For your dinner parties i suggest you pre-portion and package your meats by planned degree of doneness. Label each package with a permanent marker and initially cook everything to the lowest degree of doneness. Remove the rarest done items and chill if you are doing advance meal preparation. Then increase the water temperature and continue to cook the remaining portions to the next stage of doneness. And so on. It won’t take long, but it depends on the thickness of the items, I find a half hour will raise most individual portions of “rare” meat to medium-rare, about 5 degrees F.

Up to this stage you can do this well in advance, even up to medium doneness, and do so several days before service. Most restaurants cook a week’s forecast portions in advance and hold refrigerated. Just before service a quick sear will do after warming all in a 120F water bath. Always serve on heated plates.

I too have a couple of dinner party guests who are firmly in the well-done camp and i do much the same as you do, give it a brief shot in the microwave to get rid of the flavourful juiciness they detest. Their preference for well done is frequently not a matter of food safety, but appearance. Use your instant-read thermometer and aim for 149F which will result in well-done looking on the plate after a quick sear. Be sure to blot the meat with a wad of paper towel before and after searing to remove the offending meat juices. The blotting changes the meat’s color enough, but doesn’t completely ruin it.

Happy cooking.

2 Likes

I am cooking carrots. second thing to try. Serious eats recipe. I need these done a little sooner. does it hurt to put them in the water while it heating up?