New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

Not really - I personally do it all the time. Just keep in mind that vegetables need to cook fully - even if you have them in prior to their desired cooking temperature. Or it’ll come out a bit raw/hard. @Loraine

1 Like

They weren’t mushy and didn’t come out crunchy. Just little firmer. Next time when I am short on time I will slice them thinner. Thanks again! Just a bit of a learning curve.

1 Like

Can you clamp the plastic clamp to the metal part so that it will work in a shallow pot?

Yes, just be mindful with shallow vessels that the water level stays above the minimum mark.

Hi Alyssa

When browsing recipes, how do I save them for later access?

-Allan

1 Like

Hey Allan! Once in the recipe, you’ll see a heart on the upper, right-hand side of the app. Tap on that to save.

You can go back to favorite recipes by tapping on “favorite” that is listed a the bottom of the screen.

Let me know if you were able to save them successfully! :slight_smile:

ok. do i put the food in the water at the start or wait till it is at the set temp. thanks

1 Like

@princesspea it’s recommended when the bath reaches the desired temps.

So I did my first boneless pork chops came out more over cooked than planned per reccomeded process. Should I lower the temp or shorten the time.

I’m still a bit confused by the time frames of 130 dog for 1 to 4 hrs.

I only did it 15 mins passed the 1 hrr

Hey @Opa Opa! How thick were the pork chops? At what temperatures were they sous vide at? Were these chops fatty, or on the leaner side of things? How did you finish them (grill, pan, ect.)…

They were 1 1/2" boneless fairly lean. Cooked at 140 for 1hr 15 min. Then finished in a fry pan in hot butter and oil about 1 min on either side

A minute each side for searing is a bit long. If you consider that, with a hot enough pan you can pretty much cook a rare steak in this kind of time. Try to get your pan as hot as possible and sear as quickly as possible. 30-45 secs each side should be the aim, less if possible.

Always make sure you dry your meat extremely well post swim as any moisture on the surface of the meat will have to boil off before the surface can get hot enough to begin the Miallard reaction. Salt the dried surface place it in your hot pan. You can press it down to ensure good contact with the metal.

You may need to add oil to your butter to stop if from burning. I would rather use a high temperature oil for searching. When finished I will sometime melt a little butter in the hot pan with some herbs and pour this over the seared meat and let it stand for a little while before slicing.

Pork can be a bit difficult to achieve perfection on depending on which cut you have chosen. I tend not to use loin chops because I find the muscle too dense on modern pork with no fat within the muscle to break the texture up (as distinct from the fat layer on the edge). Many will suggest brining pork to increase the moisture content, but all you are really adding is salt and water. The salt will be enhancing the flavour, but the water will be thinning out flavour from the meat juice. So… To each their own.

Time can be a little confusing when you start out. Cooking time has an impact on the finished texture by allowing breakdown of connective tissue and conversion of collagen to gelatin, although this conversion doesn’t really get going until the 6 hour mark. Steaks, chops and other quick cooks are usually from lesser worked muscles that have a natural tenderness to them. We also expect a different texture from these meats to that which we expect from the slower cook pieces. But I aim at around 2 hours usually for these.

You may also consider dropping your temperature a little, if you can accept a blushing piece of pork. I cook most of my meats (with the exception of poultry) at around 54C/129F, and a beef steak down to 53C/127F 'cause I like it on the rarer side of medium rare. As I said, 54C/129F will give your pork a good blush and give it the best chance of retaining its natural juices. If you can handle the colour give it a try.

1 Like

Thanks Ember. I did forget the drying between steps. :flushed: I figured the temp was also the issue. But I was cooking for my family and my parents so I thought not too blushie, do to they were brought up in the cook pork till it’s leather age. Lol. I just am not use to the time bit that it just changes texture the longer it cooks.
I’ll do a few trial runs next time before company.

It’s a good idea to keep a journal of your experiments noting product (steak, veg, tofu, etc), temperature, time and a description of the results.

1 Like

I do that, thru grilling, Dutch oven, Smoking, so yes I will on this new learning experience. Thanks much

1 Like

Any reason why the steak (or any other meat) has to be completely dry?

What’s the difference in texture/taste/appearance if one has two exact pieces of steak, prepared, seasoned and cooked exactly, with one completely pat dried and one without, before searing? Thanks.

If the steak is not dried the moisture has to boil off before the steak can sear. This can result in a stewed taste to your meat, or it may result in over cooking. While the moisture is boiling away there is still heat being transferred to the meat, however it is not able to brown. It is this browning (through the Miallard reaction) that is the reason for searing in the first place.

2 Likes

Ember is correct. Searing has to be both very hot and quick.

Your dried steak will always have the better texture, taste, and appearance for the reasons he states. Try the comparison for yourself if you can afford to waste a perfectly good piece of steak.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions! My schedule for “SV Adventures” got hijacked due to a friend’s hospitalization, but I hope to get back on track later this week.

1 Like