New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

As soon as you turn it off

“always allow the system to cool before emptying water from the cooking container” quoted from quick start guide.

That’s kinda like the disclaimer on coffee take out cups “Caution! Beverage is HOT!”

That’s really saying that you should allow the water in the bath to cool before you empty the vessel. (so you don’t burn yourself if it splashes back on you) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you asking when to remove the device from the water, or when to empty the water from your container?

Ah right! Thanks alot!

I think fischersd has solved my confusion. Thank you for your help as well!:grin:

1 Like

Cool! I shall do my best to get it to that level. Thanks!

I have done 1" steaks and a small venison roast with the Sous Vide method, steak at 130F for one hour, and the roast for two hours. Both came out for me rare, medium rare, but my guests felt the mouth feel was sort of “mushy”. I tried redoing the (now sliced) roast at 135 for an hour, but still very soft to the palate. Is this normal or should I increase the temperatures or use a longer cooking time?

Don

Venison is a softer mouth feel. The fibres are much finer than that of beef.

I do realize that but the steaks were beef sirloins and rib eyes

Don

Then you were lucky and got very tender beef. It is extremely unlikely that an hour sous vide processing will have caused mushiness in a sirloin or rib eye. Were they previously frozen?

The beef was direct from the store. I was wondering if I should have cooked it longer or at a higher temperature. Recipe calls for 30 minutes a 1/2 inch at 130F. Also, did four evenly cut cod pieces at the recommended time and temperature and it was way over cooked and hard and chewy.

Don

One thing to remember with sous vide is that temperature selects the done-ness. So, a higher temperature will only make your steak less rare.

Most of the recipes I’m seeing seem designed for medium to big families. Generally speaking when scaling them down do I need to modify the cooking time or temp?

Yes. No. And depends. Temperature will remain the same as it is, for proteins, how the required doneness is controlled.

The time for cooking 10 2" thick steaks will be the same as the time for cooking 2 2" thick steaks of the same cut. So, in this respect scaling down doesn’t impact the time.

However, if you’re cooking a 3" x 3" x 4" chunk of meat for a roast for 2 people and the recipe is using a 6" x 6" x 10" chunk of the same cut, then you may need to adjust the time. (The numbers are merely to give you an idea.)

If you were making pot de creme and the recipe uses 250 ml wide necked mason jars and you decide to make smaller serves and use 125 ml jars then adjusting the time would depend on how the jar dimensions vary. If the jar is smaller diameter but fills to the same depth, then probably not. But if the jar is smaller in all dimensions then probably yes.

So, over all, the simple response is no. But you can see this is not always going to be the case.

Short version: it’s complicated :slight_smile:

Slightly longer version: cooking time depends on the thickness of the food more than its weight. (A short rib roast will take the same amount of time as a long rib roast, if they each have the same diameter.)

Rather than obsessing about it, take your favourite piece of meat and cook it according to some recipe that you find. If the recipe says “X degrees for medium-rare for 40 minutes”, and you find that the steak comes out well-done instead of medium-rare, the next time you cook that kind of steak, try “X - 5 degrees for 40 minutes”. It won’t take more than two or three tries until you’ve homed in on what you like.

I echo the above comments - it’s complicated, kinda. I cook for myself, but I still use recipes as a general guide. The time + temps should still hold true, unless you’re cooking up significantly smaller/larger than mentioned in the recipe.

There are temperature (doneness) and time (thickness) charts for sous vide available in several locations online (Douglas Baldwin’s site and Serious Eats come to mind).

You don’t need to experiment with levels of doneness…sous vide isn’t new (it’s just that it’s only going mainstream for consumers now) - the French have been using it for decades.

Just do a google for “sous vide temperature and time charts” (without quotes) and you’ll get a plethora of information. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks.