New Sous Vide User? What Are Your Burning Qs?

Still trying to decide, Alyssa, whether this is for me. I see many pros and a lot of cons, too. So still watching and reading and will decide soon.

I totally understand. :slight_smile: Let me know if you need any additional info like resources or anything else I can point you too! Happy to help!

How does the multi cook feature work? Do I need two devices to cook rare and medium meats? Or, is it like the original BT model, just increasing temp and time?

Multicook is currently in development and has not yet been released.

How long can a piece of steak remain in the water after it reaches its cook time? My husband often gets delayed. Lol

1 Like

The recommended cook time for steak is 1-4 hours. You can plan for one, but leave it in for up to 4.

If you are cooking below the 54C/129F mark then 4 hours as Alyssa says. If youā€™re working above the safe zone, then you can keep it going.

2 Likes

I have a very large pot that I will be using for coking three racks of ribs will there be a problem with the uni9t handling this?

Depends on the model you get/have. Each of them is designed to handle a maximum volume of water. I cannot recall off-hand, but I think the maximum volume for the 900W model is 11L. If the volume of water you use is under that limit, it should be fine.

The 900W Wi-Fi model can circulate up to 5.5 gallons of water (20.81L) and the 800W Bluetooth model can circulate up to 5 gallons (18.92L) of water. :slight_smile:

smirk Ummā€¦shouldnā€™t there be decimals on the imperial side of that statement? :slight_smile: (because I always thought 5 gallons = 5 gallons) :slight_smile:

For @mikeinfsr 's question though - if youā€™re cooking 3 racks of ribs - so, thatā€™s what, 6 freezer bags? (width-wise, you fit about a 1/2 rack in each freezer bag side to side).

How are you keeping them separated, so theyā€™re cooking even?

Woops I meant 5.5! Fixing that now! :flushed:

Still think youā€™ve got things around the wrong way @AlyssaWOAH. You have the higher wattage machine able to circulate less water than the lower one, at least on the imperial side.

Ah, thanks! This is what happens when I write things half asleep. Good catch. Fixing for the second time.

Is the cryovac packaging from Trader Joes specifically the santa maria marinated tri tip steak safe to sousvide in? I ended up cooking it in the same vacuum packaging i bought it in. I heard after that some of the packaging stores use wonā€™t be graded with a plastic that can be heated to high temps 130 F for me and will leak cancerous chemicals.

I generally cook for anywhere from 6-8 people at a time, sometimes more. I often cook chicken, usually thighs, bone in, no skin (less fat) - usually 8-11 thighs at a time. Generally, I cook them in the oven with a seasoning - 180C for an hour. How can I cook 8-11 thighs at the same time with sous vide? If I cook them each in an individual ziploc bag, I would use up the bags VERY quickly.

@Andre_Calilung To be on the safer side of things, I always rebag. You might find the following threads/topics in the community helpful:

@Yehuda_Poch could you use larger bags? You can add multiple chicken thighs in one large bag, and just have them laying side-by-side (not stacked).

Four to five thighs each in 2 medium (aka 1 quart) freezer zipper bags works well best, especially when doing water displacement. Trying to don8 to 10 thighs in a large (1 gallon) bag is little more of a challenge keeping thighs from shifting and stacking when doing water displacement.

1 Like

Hi all,

Iā€™m loving my new APC! Iā€™m about to take on a big cook. I have a 2kg rib of beef with bones in that I want to sous vide.

My issue is that it is sealed but not vacuumed as the vacuum had loosened by people having a feel in the shop. Itā€™s from a farm shop, so itā€™s beautiful quality. I cannot for the life of me find a zip lock bag big enough and I have to cook this tomorrow so time is tight.

Can I still sous vide this? Does it need to be vacuumed and is there any trick I can use to achieve what I want to? Or, do I need to concede and BBQ this over low indirect heat. I dont want to mess up this cook as itā€™s both an expensive cut of meat and itā€™s for an early Christmas meal with the family.

Any help or tips are gratefully received.

Alex