Searing for beginners

Got the link and saved it, thanks. Lots to read there.

I understand what you meant now. I use my watch to time things on the bbq. Yes the 30 secs could have been 28 or 35 . . . Not exact. The fire however started within 5 secs and the flames were a foot high. Not a fair test for my first SV attempt.

We learn as we go . . . from experience, reading and listening to others. Looking forward to trying it again, with changes.

You should not need any butter on the meat with your high temperature equipment. Have you tried applying seasoning to the dry meat by pressing it gently into the surface?

To get the fat crisp hold the steak vertically fat-cap down over the heat with your long broiler tongs. If it flares you can quickly pull it back before it carbonizes. Then proceed to sear the sides. Finally brush the steaks with melted butter just before service. I use clarified sweet butter because it gives enhanced shine and flavor to the steaks and topped with a pinch of finishing salt.

On learning by experience, many new SV cooks benefit from keeping a detailed record of every SV meal. Most important details to record are a description of the item, - cut and grade, thickness, cooking time and temperature, searing method, and outcome. Some comments on the results helps if itā€™s not quite perfect so you can make an appropriate adjustment next time.

Do well.

All good. Iā€™ve been reading the info in that link you posted, thanks for that.

I was going to make some clarified butter but bought salted. Next time Iā€™ll get unsalted.

Cheers.

Glad you are finding Blanchard useful. The facts are always better than othersā€™ guesswork and opinion.

Salted butter contains a lot of water and itā€™s better if you control the salt. It doesnā€™t keep as well so freeze it double wrapped in 1/4 lb. pieces.

For an extra special flavour, brush your finished steaks with browned butter. The nutty flavour adds deliciousness to lightly seared meat. Charring can add bitterness.

I have a glass topped induction stove and use an enamelled CI skillet all the time. Just donā€™t drop it!!

1 Like