Soliciting Ideas/Suggestions for cooking Beef Heart

I’ve never eaten nor cooked beef heart, but I now have one (grass fed) in my freezer given me by a friend. I know I can go out on the net and search for some ideas, but I thought it would be nice to hear from the community! Has anyone had a particularly good experience cooking beef heart - or perhaps had a bad experience and have recommendations regarding what “not” to do?

Thanks in advance!

See here: Let's talk organ meats - #4 by DParker

1 Like

Helpful! Thank you!
So (per the linked conversation) for the “sous vide” portion of the cooking you’ve had good success with 24 hours at 70 ºC - and vacuum sealed with rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, and a tablespoon of beef drippings.

Excellent!

The 24-hour sous vide is a pre-cook. The meat comes out of that very tender, with some flavour from the aromatics. Then prepare as you usually would to make a stew or similar. You’ll get much the same taste, with much more tender meat.

1 Like

Ah, this reminds me! We have someone in the Facebook group that just made steer heart. Here’s the post about it:

It may be worth asking Justin a few Qs about it.

Word of warning for anyone using OX hearts, if feeding it to your dogs it tends to give them the squits something rotten.

We cook hearts for ourselves (Ostrich being a favourite) as well as lamb hearts,
Pig hearts are great for dogs no ill effects,
Always drain them of blood though & rinse.