What tips do you have for new sous viders?

Tip: Tools are everything.

Someone may tell you that they “can’t cook” but really what this translates to is they bought a cheap pots/pans set. The Clad cookware is night and day difference in terms of your results, like not burning eggs and them not sticking to the pan, braised dinners turning out good without burning, etc.

IOW, get quality cookware on the cheap (reasonable quality / last), much like clothing.

In that regard, Anova Sous Vide circulator is worlds better than the Euro water bath appliance I started with (b/c of water circulation and target temperature control). It excels at long cooks (Coleman cooler mods to fit) and is a low learning curve.

You DO need to sear after a Sous Vide cook - it will turn out terrible otherwise. Searing is a 2min investment - sous vide is a huge time saver when set up properly for consumer home cooks.

This is my recommendation on tools: "Free flow" of water around food packets - #8 by 7h4tguy

Not expensive and with some trivial initial time investment you will grok Sous Vide and it will be a regular in your cooking arsenal. After several initial missteps, I’ve discovered it’s that good. Not unused counter space (in fact I use a separate room entirely).

2 Likes