Is Anyone using the SousVide Supreme Universal Pouch Rack?

I haven’t received my Anova precision cooker yet but I did order the pouch rack because I thought it would be useful especially in keeping the food submerged … Does anyone know what size container this will fit… I think it’s supposed to fit the 12 quart Camwear Polycarbonate but I was trying to find A BPA-free container.
I realize I’m probably being a little cautious as the food will be in BPA- free bags. I looked at the rubbermaid and the cambro made of Polypropylene and BPA-free . Both are 12 quarts but seen to be smaller in dimensions so can’t tell from looking on Amazon if it will fit…
Trying to decide so any info would be helpful…

It fits 12 quarts Cambro (just barely, but does fit):

@vtemkin Are you using a cut out lid? Thanks for the info on the 12 qt cambro… Picture helped alot…

@saluki‌ I personally believe that concerns about temperature loss and evaporation are somewhat misplaced. Look for my post on 12 hours cooking here and see for yourself energy consumption and evaporation data. I did buy two lids with intention to cut out part for Anova in one of them, but for now they stay unmolested. Also there were reports that sending all the vapors to Anova control head might be a little damaging to the brains of our new toy :slight_smile:

@vtemkin…Had to look up what a Ball Tip Steak is…lol… Guess if evaporation is not such an issue, I may save the money for now…Amazons lid prices are really high…
I’m hoping you eventually put out your full featured android app… I certainly will get it and won’t mind paying for that one bit…

If you can find a restaurant supply store near you, the lids are reasonably cheap. At Amazon prices they don’t make any sense: you can have aluminum foil for the rest of your appliance life.

I have set up an eight-quart Rubbermaid container with a cutout lid for the Anova unit. From what I can tell at http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/ (where the Cambro container + lid is listed for $18.97 including tax and shipping). Its dimensions are 9.12" x 8.37" x 8.37", according to FSW. Home Depot is about double that for in-store pickup.

I already have an 8 quart Carlisle and although its a nice size, it will not fit the rack…
Honestly, the Sous Vide Supreme rack is one of the better purchases I’ve made since it keeps my bags submerged and keeps the water freely circulating with multiple bags… It just fits the 12 Quart…

Looked at the FSW site and with shipping lid is same price as Amazon… My restaurant supply stores only carry Carlisle containers and lids…

I’m taking @vtemkin suggestion and think i can do without the lid…but wondering if there is a benefit of using aluminum foil over Stretch-tite, Saran wrap etc.?

FYI… Anyone considering BPA free containers should be aware that the Cambro Polypropylene containers are only heat safe to -40 to 160 F

Rubbermaid BPA free is resistant to temperatures from -40 to 212 degrees F…

I would think that to be a consideration if you are making vegetables, yogurt, creme brulee, etc

FYI.... Anyone considering BPA free containers should be aware that the Cambro Polypropylene containers are only heat safe to -40 to 160 F.......

Rubbermaid BPA free is resistant to temperatures from -40 to 212 degrees F

It says on their website that the containers are good to 210*f:

http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Storage/Square_Food_Storage_Containers/10737420118/1033.aspx

FYI.... Anyone considering BPA free containers should be aware that the Cambro Polypropylene containers are only heat safe to -40 to 160 F.......

Rubbermaid BPA free is resistant to temperatures from -40 to 212 degrees F

It says on their website that the containers are good to 210*f:

http://www.cambro.com/Products/Food_Storage/Square_Food_Storage_Containers/10737420118/1033.aspx

Your Link refers to Camware Polycarbonate containers which do contain BPA’s

According to the Company BPA is not found in their Polypropylene or Polyethylene storage containers…
I’m only talking about the Polypropylene BPA free containers and not Polycarbonate

I’m rethinking about getting a lid… Did some lamb shanks on a long cook and covered the container with stretch-tite… Did not realize how much water evaporated and disturbing the stretch-tite made me less likely to peak… So, I will probably opt for cutting a lid for convenience…

I use this with every other bar cut and folded over to form a base:

Another use for the SVS rack--Filling vacuum pouches with no helper!
[missing image removed]

@JD4JC …Oh that is smart! I need to put a funnel on my shopping list… Thanks for the tip.

It’s designed for filling canning jars–Look for it with the canning stuff!

Mis-entered twice.

@saluki asked about using aluminum foil over plastic wrap. I think the results are more or less identical so it may just be personal preference. I find plastic wrap in general to be difficult to deal with from getting it started out of the box, ripping it to shreds and clumps trying to tear it off, having it decide on its own to stick only to itself, and to become useless when wet. You may correctly deduce I prefer the foil approach.

While you cannot see through it on the cooking container, the foil is easily opened or even removed to check water levels, food package bubbles, good circulation, and so on. Then it can be put back on the container and crimped well enough to seal it from most evaporation. I also find a few feet of foil much cheaper than the cost of plastic wrap which includes the half roll I destroyed, the family-unfriendly atmosphere as I loudly explain my plight in monosyllabic and gerund terms, and the two fingers of Scotch needed to regain a semblance of calm in the kitchen.

@JD4JC… That funnel in conjunction with the sous vide supreme rack was a wonderful tip…I think I bought the same funnel (Jarden) on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Brands-1440010770-Translucent-Canning
I am using the two together in a 8qt Carlisle container to ready soups and sauces to freeze prior to vacuuming… works great! ( PS. the12 qt Polypropylene and Polycarbonate containers are the smallest that will fit both that rack and Anova 2)
@Salisbury_Sam…I totally agree with you about the plastic wrap… I’ve cut a piece of the reflectix for the top as well as the sides until I get around to cutting a lid…

Check out the Lipavi sous vide racks at wwwlipavi.com 

They are new to the market. They are collapsible, flexible and come in different sizes and shapes.
The pouches are safly held at appropriate distance from each other.