Sous Vide °Celsius for iOS added support for Anova in latest update

Our app “Sous Vide °Celsius” has been around for quite some time, but the latest release 3.1 added support for the new Anova Precision Cooker.
With this simple initial integration, you will be able to quickly set temperatures according to the app’s recommendations and start the Anova.
If you try it out, let us know what you think!
Sous Vide °Celsius in the app store

(Inside the app, tap temperatures to get to the Anova controls.)

I have been using your app for a long time. I love it! The time/temp suggestions match my taste. In general, on the web and elsewhere, I find the temperatures to be too high - giving a more traditional result.

When will Sous Vide Celsius be able to set the timer on the Anova too?

I just downloaded it for my iPad Air & started using with my Anova Precision Cooker. I tried the soft boil eggs (142.5°F @ 45m) but they came out runny. I was cooking two eggs so I kept the one in for another 30m @ 145° but the whites did not set.

Overall, I think the app is good and can be great with a few improvements like:

1. Ability to add your own recipes.
  2. Better controls on UI. Tapping out the timers window should bring you to previous window.
  3. Ability to add recipes to a ‘Favorites’.
  4. Date stamps on Notes.
  5. Temperature data logger (5 min intervals) chart for frozen to cooking so I know if I’m in the danger zone too long. (Just a thought.)

I think it’s still better than the PolyScience iOS app & has an “Apple User Experience” feel to the app which matches the design of the Anova Precision Cooker.

Thanks Sous Vide °C team!

When will Sous Vide Celsius be able to set the timer on the Anova too?

Our original developer unit had a habit of beeping every time the app tried to read the data on the unit(!) Anova now sent us another unit. It just arrived a week ago. Though interactionwise not without issues - you should see something within the next two updates.

I just downloaded it for my iPad Air & started using with my Anova Precision Cooker. I tried the soft boil eggs (142.5°F @ 45m) but they came out runny. I was cooking two eggs so I kept the one in for another 30m @ 145° but the whites did not set.

We made a mistake: The entry for soft boiled egg is wrong! At 61.5°C egg whites won’t coagulate. In 2009 Martin Lersch from Kymos.org wrote an in-depth article about the issue. See yourself:Towards the perfect soft boiled egg – Khymos The recommendation is 68°C for 25 min. You then lower the water temperature to 61.5°C to keep them warm.

Overall, I think the app is good and can be great with a few improvements like: 1. Ability to add your own recipes. 2. Better controls on UI. Tapping out the timers window should bring you to previous window. 3. Ability to add recipes to a 'Favorites'. 4. Date stamps on Notes. 5. Temperature data logger (5 min intervals) chart for frozen to cooking so I know if I'm in the danger zone too long. (Just a thought.)
  1. -5.
    The freedom to change recommendations and adding entries is one of the most requested features. We are taking notes and try to come up with good solutions. Also thanks for the UI suggestions. Very helpful. Thank you!

I bought the app, and it worked only once to start both the cooker and timer with my iPhone. While the timer seems to work by itself (although I can’t figure out how to stop it from reminding me that the cooking time is over), the app doesn’t start the Anova. Both functions seem to work fine on our iPad.

This is a problem that occurs under iOS 7. A fix has been submitted to the App Store already and will be available soon, hopefully. Thank you for reporting!

I bougth the app, i have a Iphone 4 with IOS 7-1-2, how do i paired the two ? :frowning:

@jfrei‌ , I can’t seem to get this iOS app to run on my Android phone or tablet … hint, hint, hint.

JWP, iPhone 4 doesn’t support Bluetooth Low-Energy, you will need at least iPhone 4S/iPad 3 to control the Anova, unfortunately.

How about adding Tilopia to your fish menu?

@jfrei‌, then please change " Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus."

@JWP We added a compatibility disclaimer in the Anova-specific feature description.
The current compatibility information for the app per se is correct as it is.

jfrei - I haven’t bought your app yet but I just got my circulator today and would like to.

Have you fixed the egg temp problem?

Just want to know!

Hi @ABalliett. Thank you for your interest in Sous Vide °Celsius. The app is up and running. Our most recent update fixed the issue with iOS 7. The incorrect egg temperature was adjusted, as well! Do you have ideas for improvements? Let us know.

@jfrei‌ , I can't seem to get this iOS app to run on my Android phone or tablet ... hint, hint, hint.

Hint, hint . . . get an iPhone!

Hello @jfrei - for my first try with your app, I wanted to try the chicken breast.

I’m a bit confused by your second step. You are saying “Cool to 5 C” after preheating the water bath. Do you mean that the chicken breast should be at 5C or the water? If it is the water, why preheat then?

jfrei. Android on the pipeline?

Hello @jfrei - for my first try with your app: Do you mean that the chicken breast should be at 5C or the water? If it is the water, why preheat then?
Hi Steve. Thank you for your feedback. It's the chicken that should be used cold. I will change the text to "Use cold chicken breast (5°C//41°F)". It's first of all a safety step. This time/temperature combination reduces potentially harmful microorganisms to a safe level. The calculations are based on chicken breasts with a core temperature of 5°C. Also, if you are using a vacuum machine then using cold products will lessen the "vacuum boil". This is beneficial for the texture of the meat.
jfrei. Android on the pipeline?
Hi wdl. The pipeline looks rather long. Sry.

I like using your app - version 3.3 which has more details/food categories than the Anova app itself and the food guide comes in Farenheit only. I particularly like the part where I am able to enter notes for my cooking for future reference. Thank you for giving us such a useful app.