Cooking much longer than the recipes I find online?

Hi there, I am a foodie nerd with too much time on my hands. My most recent project was a corned beef that I cooked for 50 hours…AMAZING

The best pork chop I ever had in my life was at Nola in New Orleans…I could swear I heard the waiter say it was sous vide for 8 hours. That’s about twice as long as any recipe I have found online. That’s my project for Sunday.

Tonight it’s beef tenderloin, the recipe I read was 135 for 45 minutes, but I would like to cook it longer. However it’s 20 bucks work of meat, and I don’t want to jack it up. So heres my question:

Generally speaking, you can not over cook meat with time as long as you have selected the appropriate temperature? Also generally the longer it cooks the more tender it will be?

1 Like

longer cooks mostly affect the breakdown of connective tissues, so your food may or may not fall apart. i’ve had steaks that i cooked for long periods just to see what happened, and the steak ended up having a small split along some connective tissue.

it can also turn the meat itself to mush, but it takes a super long time for that to happen. i think you’ll be ok.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice.This is partially because my wife is going to pick up my son and I gotta go to work. The tenderloins will probably end up going about 3 hours.

Film at 11

here’s kenji’s input on steak times and a visual example of the effect of cooking time on the meat Sous Vide Steak Guide | The Food Lab

and again for pork chops: Sous Vide Pork Chops Recipe

1 Like

So an update on the chops…Damn near perfect. Probably not as good as the one at Nola 'cause…well…Emeril, but just as tender. They went 8 hours at 140. Next time I’d go 8 hours at 135.

I didn’t even turn the anova off, yesterday I found another corned beef on sale and it went in the drink immediately after I finished the supper dishes.

If my Anova broke today, I’d order again right away!

3 Likes

Now I am craving pork chops! :laughing: