Pork chops are a little dry

Hi guys;

Hoping to get some feedback on this.

I put my 1 - 1 1/2 chops in the sous vide for 4 hours (as per a friends recommendation, I was going to leave them for an hour)
at 140.

While not a failure by any means I expected better.
They had the slightest hint (very slight) of pink and were a little dryer than I thought they should be.

The chicken breasts last week were like lobster (awesome) and the tri tip I did was tender as anything.

Any suggestions on what I could have done better would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

That should have read 1 - 1 1/2 inch.

I thin 1-2 hours is right but 4 should be okay too. Really depends on the fat content of the pork in my experience.

At temperatures of 140F+ you really have to watch the cooktime of your protein (I think your instincts were correct). When I get something out of the sous-vide that tastes chalky or dry, it’s a good indication to me that I’ve left it in the bath for too long. It can mean, in addition to cooktime+temp being too long, that the protein is very lean and needs a little added fat to turn it into sous-vide gold.

Cooktime: Your thoughts on cooktime (1 hour) would yield better results than that the cooktime suggested to you by your friend (4 hours). Buy (or dust off) an accurate quick read thermometer to check the internal temp of your protein as well as to know with certainty that your Anova is working properly (keeping the temp very close to the readout temp)- they tend to come from the factory well calibrated, but improper cleaning, etc. can make them lose accuracy. When you have confidence in your equipment and your technique it will make everything you cook that much better.
One hour should be sufficient time to cook your chops, but a quick read thermometer will take any guesswork out of the equation. I wouldn’t be worried about cooking it a few degrees below 140F (138F-ish) and then you could get away with a much longer cooktime if so desired (e.g. you are having a dinner party but are unsure when some of the guests will arrive).
+tip: If you feel that you have cooked a protein too long and still have it sealed in a bag, then submerging the bag in a cool (but not icy in the case of pork) water bath will stop the cooking process and might help recover it. If you are going to be finishing it off in a hot pan this is also a good way to get a nice char on the edges without further cooking the inside.
Lean meats: Important to note, but not necessarily relevant to your situation…
delicate lean meats like tenderloin are easy to overcook (even at lower temps) with a poor result (again, chalky or dry tasting).
The leaner the meat, the more you might consider adding fat into the bag (bacon comes to mind but olive oil would also work well). Lean protein will tend to take on the flavor of the fat it is cooked in, so keep that in mind when choosing what to add. Best wishes.

Interesting Snow. My first chops looked lovely but were very dry. I tried several times and  for both shorter and longer times and on the stove. I was glad when they ran out.

Next I did a bacon wrapped tenderloin at 140 for 3 hours was perfect. Done much pork since that was great but I know better what to look for when buying.

I have actually gone back to conventional for ribs.

Totally agree with what you say but for me it is getting the right meat above all. (and at a reasonable price)

> @Snow said: >
At temperatures of 140F+ you really have to watch the cooktime of your protein (I think your instincts were correct). When I get something out of the sous-vide that tastes chalky or dry, it's a good indication to me that I've left it in the bath for too long. It can mean, in addition to cooktime+temp being too long, that the protein is very lean and needs a little added fat to turn it into sous-vide gold.

Cooktime: Your thoughts on cooktime (1 hour) would yield better results than that the cooktime suggested to you by your friend (4 hours). Buy (or dust off) an accurate quick read thermometer to check the internal temp of your protein as well as to know with certainty that your Anova is working properly (keeping the temp very close to the readout temp)- they tend to come from the factory well calibrated, but improper cleaning, etc. can make them lose accuracy. When you have confidence in your equipment and your technique it will make everything you cook that much better.
One hour should be sufficient time to cook your chops, but a quick read thermometer will take any guesswork out of the equation. I wouldn't be worried about cooking it a few degrees below 140F (138F-ish) and then you could get away with a much longer cooktime if so desired (e.g. you are having a dinner party but are unsure when some of the guests will arrive).
+tip: If you feel that you have cooked a protein too long and still have it sealed in a bag, then submerging the bag in a cool (but not icy in the case of pork) water bath will stop the cooking process and might help recover it. If you are going to be finishing it off in a hot pan this is also a good way to get a nice char on the edges without further cooking the inside.
Lean meats: Important to note, but not necessarily relevant to your situation... > delicate lean meats like tenderloin are easy to overcook (even at lower temps) with a poor result (again, chalky or dry tasting).
The leaner the meat, the more you might consider adding fat into the bag (bacon comes to mind but olive oil would also work well). Lean protein will tend to take on the flavor of the fat it is cooked in, so keep that in mind when choosing what to add. Best wishes.

Thanks guys.

I think I’ll try to sous vide at 140 for 1 hour the next time I do pork and see how that goes. I’ll post here when I do.

Another question, how do I set this forum to notify me when theres a response?

Drew

Modern store bought pork does not have the flavor or juiciness it once did. Like many other things they are being bred to be very lean. Unfortunately the leaner they get the more the flavor and juice decreases. If you can try obtaining some local pork from a butcher. I get mine from a shop in Wisconsin and it is delicious. You might also try larding or injecting flavored juice before you cook your pork.

Pork steaks have more fat and pork in Asian supermarkets generaly does as well.