Adapting double crust pie recipes?

Holidays are coming and I’d like to use my APO for baking double crust pies, tourtière specifically… I’m pretty new to using the oven and have had mixed results adjusting other baking (usually by comparing my own recipe with something similar on the app to account for differences in the oven). There aren’t any double crust recipes on website/app as far as I can find. Has anyone had good success and can share how they adapted cook temps and times and humidity?

I compared a single crust recipe to my own for a thanksgiving pie and the cook temp/time was the same and no steam, but I found the crust came out overcooked well before the recommended time ¯_ツ)_/¯

I saw an apple hand pie recipe on the app that used 20% steam and am curious if anyone has tried this for full size pies? Does it lead to better pastry? Or more similar cook times?

TIA,
Laura

1 Like

Double crust recipes are typically used for pie fillings that require a top and bottom crust. To make a double crust pie, you will need to prepare a pie dough recipe and divide it in half. Roll out one half of the dough and place it in the bottom of a pie dish. Fill the pie with your desired filling and then roll out the second half of the dough to create the top crust.

To bake a double crust pie, you will need to preheat your oven to the temperature specified in your recipe. You may need to adjust the baking time and temperature slightly, depending on the type of filling you are using and the size of your pie dish. In general, it is a good idea to place a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the bottom rack of your oven to catch any drips. You can also tent the edges of the pie with foil to prevent overbrowning, if needed.

To create a moist environment for your pie, you can try spritzing the top of the pie with water before baking. This will help to create steam and prevent the crust from drying out. You can also try brushing the pie with a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil to protect the edges from overbrowning.

I hope this information helps! If you have any additional questions or need more guidance, don’t hesitate to ask or you can also check out Goody Culinary Solutions for further recipes and cooking guides whether you are an restaurant owner or a home chef.

Hi Erica,

Thanks for the response! I appreciate your time… However what I’m looking for is how to adjust a recipe I’ve made many times before in a conventional to my new Anova Precision oven in particular. If you have any suggestion on oven settings (what % steam if any, what difference in temp compared to a conventional oven), that would be helpful.

Happy holidays,
Laura