Australian Kangaroo & Emu

I have not found many details on cooking these meats so I have done some experimenting myself.
My reference is based on Rare meat so you may need to increase the temperature a couple of degrees or give it more time when you sear it on the grill.
I cook my meats pre-seasoned at 48 deg so they need to be vacuum sealed, 50 and above you are able to use other techniques.
Kangaroo and Emu stay very tender at this temperature based on a time of 60 min, I then lightly oil and place on a grill/BBQ or pan at a high temperature turning every 5 seconds due to no fat in the meat to get an even temperature and gain some colour for serving.
This provides some mouth watering lean meals with my preference for Kangaroo as a more tender meat.
Hope this fills the void and gives others a good base for some great cooking.

2 Likes

Good on ya, @Occy. I love 'roo, but I’m having trouble getting it at my supermarket lately. MacroMeats who used to supply Woolies have just had a rebranding, so hopefully it will return soon. The disappointing thing is that the kanga-bangas have been available the whole time.

I tend to like my 'roo blue too, though I’d probably have to creep up to 50C for the other half. Not sure why you suggest that cooking it blue requires it to be vacuum sealed.

Haven’t had the opportunity to cook emu though. Where do you source yours from?

Hey Ember,
If your on the south coast NSW there is a shop that sells Roo, Emu, crocodile and other meats at Nowra.
I normally get mine from Wollies, break it down into 2 serves vacuum and freeze it.
My technical info comes from friends in the industry, that’s how I got this far but the other things they do is over my head :thinking:
Cooking fact if meat is heated under 50 deg it goes bad so take the oxygen out of the equation it’s ok.
48 deg is rare, and you need to go lower for blue, and you are able to fix the colour with some extra time on the pan of that helps :blush:
Best of luck and enjoy.

I’m in Western District Victoria. I do have a couple of farmer friends with cull licenses, but the animals are only supposed to be used for pet food.

MacroMeats (or whatever their new name is) do a full range of cuts for caterers, but only ‘fillet’ and fairly scrappy netted roasts. They also do venison, but I’ve not been able to talk the local Woollies into stocking it.

There is a place in Adelaide that do Venison, may be able to supply you but I’m not sure if they have quantity limits when sending interstate. Best of luck with your culinary adventures.

I’m in the USA so I don’t have access to any kangaroo but I have found emu sometimes. What I do have access to is venison. We have plenty of hunters in our part of Virginia and they’re always willing to share. I’d love to have some times and temps for venison and good recipes from other more experienced venison sous vide cooks.

1 Like

I love kangaroo and cook it almost every week as I can get it at my local supermarket. I agree there is very little information on the web about cooking kangaroo sous vide. I emailed Macro Meats and suggested they come up with something in their test kitchen but so far nothing.

My approach is to follow Doug Baldwin’s excellent advice in A Practical Guide to Sous Vide. (If you don’t know him I recommend googling him.) So pick the level of doneness you want and then cook for the time specified in his table for meats based on their thickness. I like to cook mine at 57 C for about 75 minutes as it’s usually about 25mm thick at its thickest. Then I sear for a minute or so each side using one of the usual methods. Before bagging it I usually salt it but I keep the preparation simple.

I haven’t tried cooking it at a lower temperature than 50 degrees and I found that a bit too rare for my liking. Also i feel nervous about cooking it at low temperatures, given that this is a wild meat, although it does get visually inspected for worms I believe. I’m no expert on this but I believe that a good surface searing on all sides is important, and it shouldn’t be served to immune compromised/pregnant people.

I’m just so frustrated at the rubbish cuts that MacroMeat, now K-Roo, are pumping out. I’d much rather be able to get their catering packs which are full muscle group cuts. The most recent pack that I bought, now that it has reappeared on the supermarket shelves, was labelled fillet, but were an indeterminate muscle cut to look like backstrap or tenderloin, complete with thick silverskin down the centre of some strips.

Hi mimi,
I’ve read Doug’s options for cooking and agree with him for beef cuts, I’ve cooked for people with medium taste in meats and find this is able to be done when searing the meat. I always turn the roo constantly when in the pan to keep the heat constant due to it’s makeup and find it turns out ok.
Just remember if you cook meats below 50 deg make sure you vacuum seal it before cooking to make sure it,s safe.

Hi Ember,
I’ve had the same problem quite a few times when selecting meat packs, I look through the packs to find the cuts which look broken down or relaxed. Also checking for the fillet rather than rump and of course no layers of tendon. Other option is to cut along the tendon to remove it, I have done this at times to get my fill of roo. Best of luck with your cuts.

I’ll take photos of what comes out of the packet next time. So often I find what looks like a single piece in the packet has been cut into strips or odd thicknesses. It just makes no sense.