Beef Roast - Any advice?

I’ve been looking for a good recipe for some Wagyu beef roast and found the link below, which recommends an oven. I recently got a precision cooker as a gift but don’t really know where to start… Any advice?

The recipe section on the anova site maybe?

Likely the 3lb prime chuck?

Keyword search: “Waygu”

Thing is with new tech, you DON’T want to start off with expensive stuff, unless you are a muppet, it is all a learning curve, realise that & start with basic cheap cuts & build a foundation of knowledge that stands you in good stead.

Experiment with basic steak, basic chicken, basic pork, basic eggs… you get the idea!

1 Like

One doesn’t have to sous vide everything. In your case, the oven method sounds OK, but I prefer to do a reverse sear, put on your favorite rub, then into a 250 F oven until internal temperature reaches 110 F, then out of the oven and tent with aluminum foil. The temperature continues to rise and then when the internal temperature reaches 125 F, back into a 500 F oven it goes, for 10 minutes. Then slice and serve; the claim for reverse sear is that resting before serving is not required. But if you want to sous vide your roast, bag it and place it into a 125 F bath, followed by a sear. The trouble is, it’s difficult to gauge when the internal temperature reaches 125 F, I understand there are tables on cooking times, so perhaps you can find such a thing. And don’t forget to invite everyone here over for dinner!

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation!

You’re right, best not to experiment with the good stuff lol

I know you are talking about getting better with your own stock, & that is logical, but sous vide is easy to screw up in the maillard stage of a pan (for instance) if you are only used to cooking from raw in the pan…

The anova temp cooking guide is worth printing off & sticking on a cupboard as a basic ref, (seeing as anova are now charging for the app, anyone who didn’t download before the 21st aug this year)

Useful cooking times link in both c/f

And yes, I know you are a cattle farm (I come from a farming family too) but I really do recommend you try sous videing some “beyond burgers” just to know what meat alternatives can turn out like done well, blind taste test any braggards (on the quiet) …you may be surprised, as might they.

Please also remember that as a beginner in sous vide, the times and temps given are to pasteurise & make safe, regardless of say a pink hue to pork & chicken done rare.

Don’t make the mistake of oversalting (often I simply don’t salt) esp for thin cuts, until it hits the hot pan, which if sitting around for a while then cooked sous vide may go mushy, just be aware, some adaptation is required some of the time.

Like the others have said, I would not start with wagu, in fact I have never personally cooked wagu.

BUT …. Being British, I have roasted a lot of different cuts for a Sunday roast.

“Roast” Pork shoulder is my personal favourite cooked Sous Vide “roast”… just dry it off after cooking and sear in a pan.

I have cooked lamb and beef the same way and it has always turned out great.

Never done a whole chicken this way, I just could not get past that I assume it would come out of the bag looking like a face hugger from alien!

1 Like