Bone broth? Long constant-temp simmer with the Anova?

Hi All, I am a newbie here, based in Berlin. I have already tried a variety of recipes with great results. And now I have found a new challenge. bone broth. After roasting the bones a n seeping them in vinegar, it requires a steady simmer anywhere from 8 to 48 hours… the longer the better, as usual!

My question: It is not a sous vide recipe, so the Anova would need to be stuck directly into the broth. Can I use the Anova directly in the broth or will it gunk up its innnards?

Thanks in advance for yur help and ised.

I wouldn’t.

I’d be concerned about small bits being sucked into the circulator as well as a calcium and protein build up on the unit as the bones dissolved. I think it’d be a good way to ruin your unit, personally.

bang your broth in a container, and bang that inside a larger sous vide container. i imagine this will work, but stick a thermometer in your broth to make sure its not too cold. stir it up every now and then.

It really wasn’t designed for anything other than water. You might just burn out the heating element trying to do this.

I think Walter_Ego was trying to hit on what might be the right idea…but it was a little hard to follow.

If you can put the broth into mason jars, seal them up and then cook it in a water bath that way, I think you should have good results (make sure you leave at least an inch from the top of the jar with your broth level).

You should have a grate on the bottom of the bath to keep the jars heated on all sides. If you’re cooking for 48 hours, I’m hoping you have a covered enclosure for your sous vide cooking - makes it easier when you can minimize the evaporation loss.

sorry, sometimes i’m a bit too australian

1 Like

Hi All,
thanks for the responses!

Looks like I shouldn’t do it directly… if at all the “indirect” method would be an idea, but a little too complicated. So I will just do it the tradtional way, in a pot at low heat.

Did you know that modern stoves (maybe only in overly-cautious Germany) have an auto-shutoff after 4 hours of use?

Thanks and best, Christoph

Walter - something to think about adding to that method would be to reduce the stock / broth after you are finished, otherwise, it’s going to be rather thin since there was no evaporation & condensing of the stock / broth.

Christoph, auto shut off stoves are an option in the US, as are kits to modify existing stoves, typically for seniors / people suffering from conditions that affect their memory. To the best of my knowledge, they aren’t required though. Also, maybe there is a way that you can disable the feature. Or just use a portable hot plate.

I know this is not sous vide, but I have had my greatest success using a pressure cooker for stock. Because it allows water to be superheated (up to 121C) it helps to break down the bones, collagen and connective tissues faster. I have made rich, gelatinous broth in just an hour with chicken bones this way. It also prevents excessive loss of water.

If anything, sous vide would take much longer than your current stovetop method and I don’t see it being any better.

1 Like

Sous Vide IMO isn’t for EVERYTHING. I would use a pressure cooker for 2 hours…try Beef bones, ground beef, mirepoix (onions, carrots, celery) and tomato paste…brown all of them in an oven and pressure cook for 2 hours. Thank me later! =)