Delayed Start Option

Hi

When is supposed to implement delayed start. I have a sous vide cooker at home, and the only thing I miss is delayed start. I would like to eat in the morning when I wake up… so wifi option does not solve that, if mobile app does not support that.
The quickest solution for all Anova users would be by app delayed timer, that would send command to Anova cooker after delayed time is finished.

Please be responsive…

1 Like

In an attempt to be responsive to the needs of SV Breakfast Clubbers everywhere, perhaps Anova’s product development team could produce an insulated all-in-one appliance that combines a refrigerated water bath and integral heating circulator with a variable controller to enable a safe delayed start based on the specific item to be cooked or reheated.

The delayed start component is easy. Airline in-flight catering systems have be doing it for over five decades. It’s getting an ever variable when-to-start product dependant function right that’s challenging.

“An insulated, all-in-one appliance” is going to be more along the lines of your traditional sous vide appliances in terms of pricing…not sure Anova wants to try to compete in that market.

All everyone wants is a basic scheduler - it’s up to the individual to determine how long their particular vessel will take to come up to their desired cooking temperature (through experimentation). Ratio of ice/water, how well insulated the vessel is, volume, how well sealed it is, ambient room temperature and even elevation will all contribute to the warming ramp-up time.

Basic feature, not a lot of excuses as to why we never got it (closing in on 3 years that customers have been asking for it).

1 Like

+1 No excuse not to have this feature. This long, either development has stopped on the app or they are afraid of frivolous lawsuits for under cooked meat. I personally wouldn’t sue my oven manufacture if the power went out on it and I was dumb enough to eat it, or left chicen to cook in it with a 12 hr delayed start.

Requested simple features like this going into a memory hole seem to be par for the course just like the alexa skill was removed. Here I was hoping it’d be a simple matter to cut down on 30 mins to an hour of preheat time by setting the cooker to start heating an hour early but i guess asking for simple features from a smart device I paid extra for wifi control is too much to ask.

Seriously this thing isn’t just a simple physical interface why exactly? An app and wifi and bluetooth hardware just to use it as a remote control and egg timer. The only remotely smart thing this device does is the ice bath and even that had to be rolled back for ages.

1 Like

Any update? Checking in in 2019 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nothing.

Wow, how is this not a feature I just bought this as a second circulator because I was under the impression that the Anova was capable of this. Even my cheap Chinese circulator has this feature :man_facepalming:t3:

The company behind the cheap Chinese unit is probably not concerned about being sued should the use of the delayed start be found to be the cause of a death by food poisoning.

Surely there would be a simple way of adding a disclaimer and even making it “pop up” when a person went to use the functionality the first time stating not to be retarded and use some common sense and do some basic research if you’re unsure

You have seen the world we live in today. Idiots have to be protected from themselves. No one takes responsibility for their own actions. Burn yourself with takeaway coffee and it’s the cafe’s fault for making the coffee too hot.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that we have to cater to the lowest common denominator but surely it wouldn’t be an impossible task to create a watertight disclaimer that covers the company from litigation or even allow people to create the modification “at their own risk”

Well, not all food left at room temp for a few hours will get you sick! :slight_smile:

1 Like

One more vote for this function, it is perfect when you’re preparing a big dinner.

Hi its 2021. Can we have this feature now?

1 Like

Right? Seems like it would be super simple to implement. I am guessing that for liability reasons they won’t ever have this feature. And the couple times I’ve reached out I get the same regurgitated answer about using an ice bath and turning it on from my phone!!! ugh - great but not what I was asking for, which is to have my Anova start at 5am so when I come down at 630 my water is ready for me to drop some eggs in. Granted, first world problems, but I love my omelette jars!

This is my convo along with the regurgitated answer in full text: To answer your question, a substitute for pre-set turn on is by doing ice bath. It is done by setting up your Anova just like you would any other way, but fill the pot with half ice and half water so that while you’re away from home, you can press start and get your food cooking and the device will rest at a safe holding temperature once the food is done cooking.

and when I pressed:

There is no option to do a pre-set for the device. For now, that is the only alternative.

Which isn’t an alternative at all, for my use case. But so be it. Wish they would just be honest and tell us if they can’t do it for liability reasons or something.

Yep, I know. Me, I wish Electrolux would have changed the company leadership after acquisition…we could have seen better focus on software features.

There is a workaround for those that want to do this though:

1. Create a nice, insulated, sealed vessel (so your temperature controls and ramp-up time are precise)
  • Do tests to determine ramp-up time (using an ice bath that’s 1:1 - ice vs water)
  1. Use the calendar in your phone / tablet / laptop (cloud calendar preferably) to set a reminder / schedule your cook - obviously, you need to add your ramp-up time to the start of your total cook time.
  2. When the notification goes off, connect to your Wifi-enabled APC via the app and start your cook.
  3. Return home to your pre-cooked meal.

Me, I would pick up both the Coleman 24-can and 48-can party stacker coolers, use a 2 3/8" hole saw to cut a hole in the corner of ONE of these lids and then be able to use both of these as either cooking vessel or cooler (as the lids are interchangeable) :slight_smile:

I plan on doing this in the late summer / early fall once the borders reopen…much cheaper at Walmart in the US. :slight_smile:

(btw - I also explained to them how they could do this for the bluetooth enabled devices, by having a dedicated “kitchen device” - aka, a tablet that’s within bluetooth range of the Nano/Precision Cooker, then you could use your other device (phone) via the app to kick off the cook on the kitchen device at home).
The developers liked that idea…a shame the management has no vision. sigh

So, six years later, how’s this coming along?..

1 Like

2022 any update on this?

1 Like

Bill, Anova is coming up on seven years since you said, it’s “on the roadmap”.
I just want to sous vide some sweet potatoes for a couple of hours in the early morning to sweeten them up before finishing them in the oven when I wake up. There isn’t a food safety issue here, and if that is the only thing that is holding back this ludicrously missing feature, then all you need to do is put up a warning pop-up in the app before a timer is set.