Dog Food (or Cat Food)???

I have heard of boiling chicken and rice to make dog food at home. My wife has our husky/lab spoiled and eating Peak (Rachel Ray) dog food in the evenings. I was wondering if anyone has started making their own dog or cat food (we have both) and if it is more cost effective and guessing it is healthier. I would like to get recipes and have my younger son (the foodie) make some food for our dog &/or cats.

1 Like

I seem to recall a couple of others were doing sous vide food for dogs with allergies or weight issues. Have a look through the forum history, or do a search on dog food and see what comes up.

This is 1.5 kg of each:
Chicken necks
Chicken guts
Through the meatgrinder

Also 1.5 kg of heart cut into chunks.

75 degrees Celcius for 3 hours and on 3 bags.

This is how much it’s appreciated…

My dog has allergies that show up as extremely itchy patches with hair loss. When his medication bill got up over $ 100/month I tried the " raw diet " except I cook it. He is now off all meds except a medicated shampoo. I buy whatever meat is on sale cheap and mix with bags of frozen veggies. I also feed a commercial grain free food to cover vitamins. My vet said whatever I was doing to keep it up, at 7 yrs he is in tip top shape! I think cooking for your pet is well worth it.

1 Like