First impressions of the Anova Oven

Weird and interesting. Do you get nice and gooey, but cooked dough?

Why 188F? I think you want to be over maybe 150F to kill and bacteria in the flour etc. Not getting high enough to make steam to get any expansion or lose any moisture. I guess 180+ to set some starches? What do you get with the 3hrs?

I was just at the point of contemplation at the last post. So haven’t tried it yet.

The King Arthur flour site recommended 188F as the set point for the dough being considered cooked, while retaining the soft - gooey texture. So that’s what I’m going on currently. The Precision Cooker Cinnamon rolls cook for 3 hours at 195F and they come out with caramelization of the sugars (in the flour and the added sugar) but they are uniformly soft through and through, so no crispness anywhere. I can’t even begin to describe what it’s like eating them. Epic! But the process of getting there is just as epic. I had such a hard time getting the mason jars properly submerged and not continually trying to float and tip over in the bath. The lids are just on loose to allow the air to escape there’s still enough bouancy to make them very unruly. So I was hoping to replicate it in the oven on Sous Vide setting and see how that works out.

I’m sure they would be exactly how I like them. Gooey and doughy. I’ll give it a whirl. I’ll try to find that reference on KAF. Thanks!

If you look for their soft cinnamon roll recipe, that’s where I found the reference. Otherwise the cook info for the cinnamon rolls is on the Anova Culinary site, but I used the King Arthur soft roll recipe. The only difference was that I added 21g sugar, their recipe didn’t call for sugar and I’m thinking the Tangzhong probably released a lot of the starch in the flour already making added sugar unnecessary. That’s just my guess. I might try the recipe without adding sugar to the dough next time and leaving them proof the correct amount of time for the final rise, rather than rushing through the process. Typically I don’t do this, but was on a time crunch with my brother wanting to get back home sooner.

The added sugar would probably retard the yeast. Omitting would help shorten the rise time or at least you would be back to recipe timing. If you want to speed it up you could try diastatic malt instead of sugar.

I used SAF yeast meant for higher sugar dough, but you’re probably right, will omit sugar next time (I just can’t help mucking about with recipes, lol). I add Diastatic malt to my pretzels, more for flavour than for rise, but good to know that it helps with the rise as well. Looking forward to seeing how the ANOVA does with my pretzels. I either give them a Baking Soda bath or a wet brushing of oven baked alkalized baking soda before baking.

I use non diastatic malt syrup for bagels and pretzels. Diastatic malt powder for the enzymes that help the yeast. Non diastatic has been heated and the enzymes are no longer active so no effect on rise etc, just color and flavor. We use lye after trying probably too hard to get the baking soda approach to give it the right flavor. Spray bottle or chip brushes from home depot.

On another topic, I just reheated three day old homemade pizza in the Anova at 375 with 70% steam and way better than reheating in microwave or reheating in a convection oven.

If using a bath for the pretzels, i add 1/4cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup (usually more though) of Munich Lager or any other dark beer.