Freezer Archeology

Today, while cleaning out the freezer, I found a tri-tip roast I bought 3 years ago, way in the back. It looked discolored, but had no discernible frost inside the original packaging. Threw it in a ziploc bag, and cooked it along with 2 other fresh tri-tips (each in their own ziploc bag). The old tri-tip, going in, tended to float more than the fresh, and seemed to have less liquid in the ziploc after cooking, but didn’t smell or taste ‘off’, or different.

Assuming I survive, has anybody else tried to sous vide food that may have been ‘freezer burned’?

Heh. You won’t get sick. :slight_smile: Just like food in cans can’t really go bad, they just change…and not usually for the better. :slight_smile:

“Freezer burned” foods are drier as the moisture has been leached out by the cold, dry air in the freezer. It does make you wonder - if you put a little water inside the bag, then cooked it longer (to make it more tender) if the result would be as good (or even better) than the fresh tri-tips. :slight_smile: (likely best to add a little fat - such as butter or oil as well - as natural oils would also leach away). Just a bit mind you…no more liquid added then a few tablespoons or so.

1 Like

Well, I’m still alive. I thought about adding water in the bag, but it wasn’t necessary. Another thing to add to the list that sous vide can do.

Does bring up a question. Is there a difference between freezer burn, and freeze drying (other than intention)?

Freeze drying is done under vacuum.