Keep bags from floating

Please be very careful using fishing weights. Historically, they are made with lead (or lead bearing alloy). If you want to use something like it. Get stainless steel balls, mcmaster-carr carries ones made of SS304.

3 Likes

I use a small heavy ceramic plate like a saucer or even a coffee mug filled with water.

Just got mine - floating bags are an issue? I have a vac-pack machine and I figured the lack of air would let almost everything sink.

Are ‘binder clips’ like bulldog clips?

@Stephen Svajian - video finally loaded - they are what we call bulldog clips. Not sure why they wouldn’t have spread the gnocchi a bit flatter and just dunked it in water to squeeze out the air… :wink:

Couple of thoughts: one - you can use Ziploc or similar bags. Use the immersion method to get as much air out as possible, then clip to the top of the container. You can either open periodically to release accumulated air, or just leave a small opening in the seal.

Vacuum sealing should work for proteins, but veggies tend to give off gases as they cook so even vacuum sealing will not prevent bubbles affecting cooking and making the package float. If you see that happen, again clip the bag to the side of the container, make a small hole above the water level, and the air should escape. Ensure the food stays below the water level of course.

I’ve used small neodymium magnets with some success. If your container is not magnetic you could put one magnet on the outside of the container and one on the inside… provided your container’s walls are thin enough.

1 Like

Magnets are a great idea. I have a bunch of those really high power ones. Stick some on the bottom of the pot and then some in the bags.

Some people have mentioned using glass beads or marbles before, I haven’t yet but I have used whiskey stones. I still don’t like whiskey but the stones are great! https://www.amazon.com/Sipping-Stones-Chilling-Carrying-Soapstone/dp/B005D78RPU//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=anovacommunity-20&linkId=b61435d78f380fe50252c335441953c8

@danearle said:
Magnets are a great idea. I have a bunch of those really high power ones. Stick some on the bottom of the pot and then some in the bags.

now that’s a timely tip! i just tried (and failed) to cook my first item–two eggs. but they floated and i’m wondering if that’s why they didn’t cook.

but coincidentally enough i just got a batch of those super-strong (rare earth) magnets from china. they are fragile to a fault though–i’ve already chipped and broken a half dozen of them in just casual handling.

/guy

Neodymium magnets: I’m a keen user of magnets, but given the toxicity of rare earth metals, however slight, I would not include them inside the cooking bag. Perhaps a magnet tied/bolted to the spine of a binder clip will hold the bag to the bottom of an iron pot when clipped to the bottom of your baggie.

I was worried about rare earth metal toxicity too, so I vacuum sealed the magnets. Now they’re sealed in plastic so they can go into the food bag!

1 Like

I think I will make some ceramic weights for the bottom of the bag. If I glaze them all around they should also be easy to clean.

I tried pie weights, knives, spoons etc. Now I just use money. $2 in pennies will keep most things down. I sealed them in two layers of  Ziploc and can put them in the bag or clip them to the bottom if the bag is already sealed.

1 Like

I use a stainless steel strainer / sieve when i’m worried about excessive movement (often with eggs). 

I have put a regular drinking glass full of the hot water from the pan.  The glass weight holds the ziploc bag quite well in the vertical position.

Lately, I’ve been using a metal serving spoon and bracing the scoop between the floor of the pot and the bottom of the PC. The handle sits right at the rim and is heavy enough to force the bag below the water. 

@Helen said:
I tried pie weights, knives, spoons etc. Now I just use money. $2 in pennies will keep most things down. I sealed them in two layers of  Ziploc and can put them in the bag or clip them to the bottom if the bag is already sealed.

We don’t have pennies in Canada any more. I tried two “loonies” (a Canadian $1.00 coin) but it didn’t work. I thiought that with the sinking Canadian dollar it would be very effective. :slight_smile:

I’m using a stainless steel bib rack to keep items separated for good water flow. Maybe strong magnets might attach the bags to the rib rack.

Otherwise, I wonder whether the weight of two magnets, one on either side of a bag and attracted to each other, would be sufficient.

1 Like

Has anyone tried pickling pebbles? And if you need to clean them you can put them in the dishwasher! 

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Pebbles-PLUS-Fermentation-Weights/dp/B00V41EZNC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1455812939&sr=1-1&keywords=glass+weight&linkCode=ll1&tag=anovacommunity-20&linkId=d67f854a8f36a683bf7efa3e6ffe9bee

I just toss some depleted uranium pellets in the bag with the food. Sinks straight to the bottom, gives it a nice twang and makes it really easy to find when the lights go out.

1 Like

Hang the bags from the top and use something on the bottom of the pot outside the bag to stabilize it. I use a stainless steel sponge holder.